My shy violet

My ds is SUPER shy around strangers (but only when I am around) He doesn't warm up to them at all and will hide behind me and cling. I'd like to help him come out of his shell but am not sure how to. Any advice? (He'll be 3 at the end of August)

alinker

Asked by alinker at 12:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids were all like this, but I was always holing them. I find it better if they r shy b cuz that way they will stay away from strangers. I didnt want them socializing w everyone
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 2:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• He won't even socialize with other children if there are strange adults around. I don't want him to be held back from playing with kids because of his shyness.
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I understand why you're concerned. It's hard to be a shy kid. First I think it's important to make sure he knows you don't think any less of him when he's feeling shy. Sometimes we unintentionally show disappointment with these kinds of things, and that would just make it harder for him to feel comfortable. And then, just keep giving him chances to be around other people. Don't force him to make friends, just let him get used to it slowly. If he's just clinging to you, sit there and talk to him about the people around you. Point out things that he is interested in to make the situation more familiar and comfortable. Let him see you talking to the other kids. Then ask him if he wants to go do something. It's okay if he says no or wants you to come with him. Just keep trying. He might just be a little shy for the rest of his life, but having a patient, loving, and encouraging family will help a lot to overcome it.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I used to be a shy kid with a extra extroverted mom, she use to embarrass me so when she try to make friends for me. I grew out of that, I think group sports helps a lot to gain confidence.
    brazilianmumsy

Answer by brazilianmumsy at 10:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011