How do you keep your dog calm with all of these firecrackers?

Hello, it isn't even the 4th yet! My poor dog is already in meltdown phase,,, would it hurt to give him 1/2 a benadryl? He has taken it before for allergies, and I noticed it made him sleep, I feel so sorry for him.

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 12:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Call the vet. I am sure they have questions about it all the time during this part of the summer. Poor babies!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents actually had to get pills from the vet to sedate him because he would get SO upset and pace and cry and try to dig and hide.. this time of year before he passes was always dreaded.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• We put our dog in our back bath room with the door closed and then even the door to the master bedroom closed. and did fine with it.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Its ok to give benydril. Also best to keep them crated when they are letting off the fireworks. Lots of dogs go missing around this time because animals are startled/go crazy over the noise.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I just read in a magazine to put clothing on them, it has the same effect that babies do when they are wrapped tightly in a blanket. It makes them feel more secure! They suggested a tighter fitting sweater ! Who would have thought!?

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I read that too- anichols- it is worth a try.. i actually have some Calming Soft Chews that look like Treats- they are High Grade Theanine- they calm them down Safely & Naturally- i hope they work for the 4th b/c my Border Collie/Lab is Petrified!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• l bit of vodka and ice cream..our vet told us to give him 1/2 cup vodka (60lb dog) and a few scoops of ice cream because he would bark uncontrollably and jump around in the cage (he wasnt good around alot of people so we had to cage him) and hur himself. it worked he went to sleep...when he started to act up again we would give him more..but noo more then 3 times in 1 day..we didnt want him to get sick from a hangover lol. the vet said it was fine. Dr. Wells in Lindenhurst NY 11757 if anyone is interested in looking him up and giving him a call
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 6:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Things are very bad around my house too. I got some tranquilizers from the vet as a last resort but really hate to have to dope him up. Also the basement seems alot quieter and you can always have the radio on loud down there. Good luck :)
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• we put them in the back bedroom, turn up the TV and turn a box fan on hi...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2011