can a spouse take out a life insurance policy on

their SO without their consent? My sister's hubby is a jerk like no other an will not have my sister listed as the beneficiary on his life insurance only thier kids. He has always stated she will not get a dime from him and the kids wouldn't get any of the monies until they are 18. My sister is concerned that if something were to happen to him that she would have recourse for raising their children. (other than SSI) She has been a stay at home mom with a daycare in her home for the duration of their marriage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Money & Work

• Yes, in certain states, you can. Your sister will need to find out what the states are in her state.

**She could always forge the paperwork... I don't really condone it but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... I signed my husbands paperwork... But that just cause he was to lazy. He knew about it and okayed it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• No.
    PhiLLy-StyLe

Answer by PhiLLy-StyLe at 3:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Nope, years ago you used to be able to. The spousal muerder rates went up so they made laws against it. The person being insured must sign the application.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well that just sucks doesn't it?
    Anonymous