What would you have done?

My dd and I went to the store and while being there for awhile she found this stuff animal that she fell in love with (at least this is what she was saying when she was crying for it) I felt so bad bc I HAD to tell her NO she had too many stuff animals and toys she cried and cried (oh this was when we were out of the store) good thing she waited but anyway I could tell the look on her face she wanted something and once we were in our car she let me have it (W A H) omg I tried to explain to her why I couldn't buy it but of course they do not listen and do not understand. I just let her cry it out she said she was going to her room to cry some more I said but try to get that stuff animal out of your head bc I AM NOT getting it...but now I feel bad I know this will pass but man it's hard. My weakness is what got me into this in the first place....lol My dd is 8 yrs. old
Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good for you is all I can say. :)
    Sigmon234

Answer by Sigmon234 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would just leave it alone, you said no. if she wants to keep throwing a fit let her, she will get over it.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Kids need to learn that no is no. If your daughter wants this so badly, she could do something to earn the money for it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would have done the same! Children need to know that they can't have EVERYTHING they want! You did the right thing Mama!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I am sure she will be fine when she calms down. You did the right thing. I do not buy my girls everything since have so much already. When they want something like that I make them go through old movies and old books and then take to half price books to earn their own money for that special something they wanted. Also I do more gift cards for holidays so they can buy their own stuff and they still have cards from last easter that they finally just spent cause kept saving them for the right item. Parenting is hard at times and other time easy. Just one day, one step, one item at a time.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• When my girls were that young i made a habit of making them understand before we left the house "YOU ARE NOT GETTING ANYTHING AT THE STORE". After saying that everytime we went somewhere. They stoped asking . So when they did get something they where really happy.

Answer by louise2 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Honestly, I think I would have gotten annoyed with the crying and told my son that if he didn't get his emotions under control, he'd need a time out.

Kids do need to learn that "I want something" doesn't translate into "I will get it". It is a tough lesson, and I try to help my boys handle the disappointment, but crying from the store, all the way home, and continuing with it after we've arrived just demonstrates a sense of entitlement and self-centeredness that I cannot let go. There are lots of kids that don't get enough to eat in a day - at 8 years old, she should be able to understand and let that kind of thing go.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My kid would have been in trouble for throwing a tantrum like that.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 1:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Good keeping your foot down a lot of parents give in so they don't have to hear their children cry and be upset. I find it hard to say no to sometimes but you gotta do want you gotta do!! I say Great Job!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 1:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• wtg for sticking to your guns. My kids occasionally ask for toys but most of the time the response is "i'm sorry not today" and that is the end of the conversation. They KNOW better than to throw a fit or ask again. my kids are 3 and 6
    tiffany0507

Answer by tiffany0507 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011