How do non beleivers feel about Christmas?

I was just curious and I'm not asking to start a fight and I hope we can have an adult conversation here! I was just thinking today when you sing Christmas Carols especailly ones that talk about the birth of Jesus...how does that make you feel and do you sing or listen to songs like that or do you only like songs about fictional charachters like rudolph and frosty!?

lets keep this nice and not express our religous views and why it's not right to celebrate or why it is..I just want to understand how non beleivers feel about Christmas!

abearshug

Asked by abearshug at 3:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Holidays

• Well we teach about all sorts of religions and we are agnostic. (I am borderline athiest) We teach about tolerance and respect to all religions and beliefs. We do Christmas carols, even ones that talk about baby Jesus and Santa. To us they are the same... mythological figures. There is nothing wrong in believing in a fairy tale.

We do celebrate Christmas with the tree and such and we use it as a holiday for giving, family, tradition, and warmth.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I love the holidays, they make me feel very...I dunno, festive. lmao.

I listen to any and all Christmas carols. (I'm agnostic, if that makes a difference) My favorites are Carol of the Bells and O Holy Night.

I celebrate Christmas as the holiday for giving and not receiving, spending time with family and friends, eating good food, and spreading goodwill. It's all about tradition for me, I have many fond Christmas memories and I want to continue the tradition in my home.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• just wanted to say ty for the "nice" answers so far...i'll check back , but if I don't catch it and there's something nasty just pm me and i'll get rid of it!
    abearshug

Answer by abearshug at 3:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I condsider myself an agnostic christian lol. While I can't say I believe 100%, I can't say I don't either, and I was brought up christian, but I don't feel I fit in in any organized religion. That being said, I agree alot with what girneffy said.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well, I think for many non-Christians, Christmas is still a much cherished cultural holiday. It is the time of year when the whole nation stops to remember they should be kind to another. And, of course, it coincides with other religious holidays. I think, as Americans, we have grown accustomed to celebrating many different cultural or religious holidays that are not our own, even if we don't really think about it that way. Everybody needs a little cheer, and it's all the nicer when everyone is cheery together. :)

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 5:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We may not focus on Christ like some do but we still believe in the magic of giving and helping and having a wonderful, memory making family time.

We love watching our boys' eyes light up with the idea of the season and Santa and games and decorating the tree. My kids love music, they dont care whether it talks about Christ or not, they just love to dance around(my oldest is 4).

I grew up christian so I have no hard feelings or anything towards that part of christmas that others celebrate and I still love the music. I may focus more on the music rather than the words now then before but I still love it. O Holy Night is one of my favorites and always will be. Plus even "believer" music brings back wonder from my past when it meant something to me. kwim? So either way, its still a joy.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I believe in Christ, Christmas, Santa, the angels. I sing Christmas Carols of all kinds and I think that the season brings out the child in all of us and is a magical time.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I beleive in the darn christmas bills, which are outta wack, and i think everyone can beleive in that one,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm atheist but I enjoy celebrating Christmas. I like passing down the traditions I remember from my childhood to my own kids. So every year I put up the tree and we decorate it with the same ornaments (some as old or older then me). I make cookies like my mom did. We have a big roast beef dinner on Christmas Eve and we listen to the same Christmas songs. My favorite is Bing Crosby singing pretty much anything, lol.
    I don't mind the religious songs. Some I like. But other then those songs and a couple old angel ornaments on the tree there is nothing religious about our celebration.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I also don't mind seeing it up in the stores. I think department stores look rather magical this time of year with all the twinkling lights and snow flakes and glitter and trees. It's pretty.
    My favorite thing is to drive around and look at the decorated houses, especially after a new-fallen snow. I used to go for walks in the snow just to see how pretty the lights are against the white.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008