What are some chores for a four year old?

My four year old autistic step son likes to help out. I am thinking that it is time to expect him to do chores.

He already clears off the dinner table and scrapes the dishes, he does pick up his toys. But he also is interested in doing laundry. He measures out the detergents, puts the presorted clothes in the wash, puts the completed clothes in the dryer, and puts his clothes away when I am done folding them.

Would it be too much to expect him to do his own laundry? Any other smaller chores he could do?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 3:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no, if he wants to do it then, let him. and don't make him think that it's a chore he has to do, let him think he's doing it cuz he wants to. my sister and i loved to do the dishes when we were little, so my parents decided to make it a chore for us to do. needless to say, we weren't too happy about it when it was something we HAD to do, so we complained every time. same with the laundry.
    as for other things to do, it sounds like he's doing great, especially just being 4, but you can have him help you take the trash out.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think it would be too much to expect him to do his own, unless it was under your guidence. I just don't think a 4 y/o has the capacity to understand it needs to be done. I have a 4 y/o daughter and she knows before she comes out of her room in the morning her bed must be made and she must be dressed. She then eats breakfast (pours her own juice), brushes her teeth, and starts brushing her hair (I finish because it's SO long). However, she also sweeps the playroom (as best she can, of course). She also helps with the laundry and helps load the dishwasher.
    SugarAndSpiceX3

Answer by SugarAndSpiceX3 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• maybe he could make a game out of matching socks. maybe the small stuff like towels and socks and things and you could do it with him and show him how.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yeah I was thinking that it would be too much to expect him to do his laundry. We never ask him to clear the dishes or pick up his toys. I don't ask him to help with the laundry itself, actually the only thing I ask him to do is put his clothes away.

I just feel like he should be expected to do things.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• yes its too much to make him so his own clothes damn it hes still a kid. do u think hes 13?? just keep him doin what he is now thats all u should expect from him........
    Anonymous