Possible Pyloric Stenosis. Whay does this mean?

My 3 month old had an ultrasound and Upper GI done this morning. Radiologist said his pyloric muscle looks larger than normal on the ultrasound but on the Upper GI Xray, the barium was passing through just fine. He said he was going to study it some more, more closely later on today. It probably won't be until Monday when his DR calls with the results. What does it mean when the Pyloric muscle looks larger but everything passes though on x-ray? Will he most likely need surgery? I am a nervous wreck right now!!!!!!!

lucomommy

Asked by lucomommy at 1:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not sure what it means. But I will tell you that my nephew had PS and was losing weight like crazy at 10 days old. He had the surgery and never had another problem. He breezed through the surgery and recovery. So if it does come down to that, it isn't so bad. Big hugs Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I had pyloric stenosis when I was a baby as well....
    Does your baby have symptoms? Projectile vomiting? I think they do need surgery IF they have symptoms... it means the food can't pass the sphincter. But if it's just enlarged but you baby is doing fine then I would think you would just wait and see.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Pyloric stenosis is a narrowing in a muscle between the stomach and the intestines. It occurs in infants and more in boys than in girls. PS causes babies to vomit and not fully process and digest food. If a baby is not gaining weight, surgery is sometimes indicated to open the narrowed area. This allows food and nutrients to be digested and processed properly and the baby to gain weight-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• The only symptoms he has is Spitting up and vomiting at every feeding and between. We have tried every formula and nothing is working.
    lucomommy

Comment by lucomommy (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• my oldest brother had this when he was a baby. I'm not sure how things are now but my brother ended up needing surgery. the only way you're going to find out if he needs surgery is to ask your doc. GL
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 3:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Is he gaining  weight or is his spitting affecting his growth or hydration?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011