Is gossip good or bad..or BOTH?

Feel free to elaborate:)

Heathercurlz

Asked by Heathercurlz at 1:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think gossip is ok to a point... to me it's when you starting talking negatively about other people that it becomes a bad thing. I don't see the problem in saying "omg did you hear so and so is pregnant" or "yeah they just bought a really nice house and are moving soon". I think it's impossible to NOT talk about other people. If you're not, your life must be EXTREMELY busy and interesting!
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i read that gossiping can help bond with your friends

"It helps us bond with our friends. The act of gossiping - talking, listening, sharing secrets and stories - bonds us together and helps us to form friendships and distinctive group identities. Though women more often earn the "gossip" label, both genders take part in the habit with equal gusto. The study conducted by McAndrew showed that we're all keen to hear and pass along any bad news about our rivals or any good news about our friends. Men are more likely to share gossip only with their romantic partners, while women will whisper with their lovers and their friends alike. Both men and women seem to prefer talking about and hearing about people of their own gender."
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It's never good. Bonding with your friends at another human being's expense is not healthy or mature. If you must cause someone else pain in order to boost your own ego or happiness level, you can just about guarantee somebody else finds your life worthy of gossip, too. I want no part of hurting another person behind their back. If you must talk about someone, allow them the chance to defend themselves by doing it while they're present.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think gossip is bad. it seems rarely to rely on fact, rather hearsay. I try to avoid gossip and if I hear something about someone I usually don't believe what I hear. all it seems to do is stir up trouble. IMO I think ppl who get caught up in gossip are drawn to drama and are willing to spread something that most likely isn't true. I can understand some people's curiosity to know what's going on, but nine times out of ten it's not their business to know anyway.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 3:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Gossip is healthy to a degree...unfortunately a lot of people take it too far.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 1:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think there is a such thing as good and bad gossip.
    MsPhyllis1985

Answer by MsPhyllis1985 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• samurai_chica

• I highly enjoy gossiping! But, I only gossip with either my bff, or my mother :) Gossiping always has the risk of hurting someones feelings or making them angry. Thats why I am careful who I gossip with bc I 100% trust that our gossip sessions stay between us and if I think there is even the slightest possibility that anything I say about someone could get out, or its just that bad..then I dont talk about it :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I highly enjoy hearing gossip, but feel that it is wrong to spread it. I guess I'm like a "fly on the wall" in this respect. I will sit and listen to other people gossip, ears open wide, but never ask for it or spread it so I can claim innocent. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Actually I read the same thing as you samurai chica..thanks for sharing. Now I just can't remember WHERE I read that! Reader's Digest maybe???
    Heathercurlz

Comment by Heathercurlz (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2011