If your doctor told you that getting pregnant again would mean you couldn't carry to full term and could end up dying ...would you have your tubes tied?

I know Doctors can be wrong but would you take the risk of Dying or having your child born at 20 weeks if after you had your last child they told you there was to much damage that getting pregnant could be fatal for you or the child.

I'm asking this because I had a friend who two years ago was told this but thought the doctor was wrong but her son was born at 19 weeks and she almost died and he ended up passing after two surgeries.....so she was wondering what other moms would do in that position

krissii

Asked by krissii at 2:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• yeah, i probably would.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• no but would prevent the best I could.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 2:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would have seeked other opinions first, but then yes, if the risk was my child's life, yes. And I wouldn't hesitate.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No, i wouldn't. Like you said, doctors can be wrong and I believe in miracles. That's a very personal decision to have to make though.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't "tie my tubes" to prevent pregnancy--it's far too drastic of a surgery when a vasectomy for my husband or birth control would be an easier option....
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would ask for other opinions as well but my husband and i talked about it after this happened and we agreed if it could mean i would die and leave our children then i would have my tubes tied. I would rather raise my DD then take the risk of leaving her without a mother
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• In a heartbeat. My living children need me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I definitely would have gotten a second and possibly third opinion and if they all were saying the same thing, yes I would have had my tubes tied.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I am so sorrry to hear your friends story. I would do whatever I have to to survive for my surving children. I would no have any other children unless by adoption.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would focus on the wonderful children I do have now and probably get my tubes tied-but I would also get other dr's opinion and talk to my husband about this too
    Jeswife44

Answer by Jeswife44 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011