How to tell your parents you got a tattoo...

My husband and I are 23 and 24. We just went to Lake Tahoe on our honeymoon for 4 days, and decided to get tattoos. I have been thinking about it for a long time, and he decided on getting one, kind of last minute. I got a dove on my upper back/lower neck with an olive branch and 1 leaf (symbolizing my 1 son) and the words Psalm 127:3...the Bible verse that talks about children being a heritage from the Lord. The whole tattoo is about the size of a baseball. My husband got an ambigram tattoo that reads Family one way and Forever the other way. Its on his inner bicep. You can't see my tattoo at all unless I have on a shirt that is cut lower than normal in the back. My husband's shows a little bit in a short sleeve shirt but that's it.
I know we are adults and that it is our bodies, but his parents reacted kind of badly when we showed them...and they are MUCH more laid-back than my parents. I'm really scared to show my parents and I'm afraid they are going to freak out. I know it shouldn't matter, but it does matter to me. I'm not regretting getting the tattoo because it is VERY meaningful to me and represents my son (even though he was a suprise baby at 20) being a gift from the Lord and has changed my life for the better, but my parents are just going to see it as ruining my body. Any advice would be appreciated!

And if you are going to suggest I just not tell them, that's going to be really hard because I take my son swimming at their house a lot.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Just accept that they have a different perception of tattoos than today's generation, when they were young tattoos were for sailors, bikers and whores. Things are different now, bikers aren't gang members and their daughter hasn't branded herself a whore because she went and got a tattoo. Try and understand the stereotypes in their heads but make sure you're heard. When I got a tattoo it meant a lot to me too and although I knew I wouldn't get my moms approval I was like a little kid who needed it anyway. When I told her what it meant to me she listened and understood but still didn't like it. You can't force your opinions on your parents and vice versa. But don't let them make you feel bad about it, theyre parents, they just want what's best for you and they'll probably always think they're the ones who know what that is.
    Anonymous

• I never tell my parents when I got new ink... If they see it, they see it. I live in Lake Tahoe, where did you get it done?
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents are the same and I just didnt tell them LOL. We went to the beach one day and they saw me wearing shorts and I had a huge dragon tattoo and another one on the back near by shoulder blade. My mom was like WHATS THAT? I said "Its a tattoo? Havent you ever seen one?". She kinda shut up and then said how she would never get one. I said thats nice, I like them though.

Answer by gemgem at 2:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You're a grown up now. You tell them "I got a tatto." Then you move on, regardless of their reaction.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 3:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You're an adult. You dont have to tell them shit
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I let my parents find out on their own. I just kept on like it wasn't a big deal, and I'm 24 now, too. Don't be ashamed. Smile, and rock it!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i would just tell them and if they yell or anything remember what u said..ur body ur dicision u like it and its meaningful. they will get over it maybe not right away but they will. both ur tattoos sound very nice and its not like its gross or racey or mean..or scary looking. if need be say im such and such yrs old and married now and we thought this would be nice to celebrate our family and or son. best of luck. .
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would tell them and then go into explaining how meaningful it is to you. No matter what you say, if they believe tattoos are wrong, they are still going to think that. But maybe by explaing how important it is to you, they'll be a little more supportive. Good luck!
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• well either let them see it whenever they see it and say oh we had that done awhile back, OR just go show them- there opinions didn't matter when you got it, why now? kwim. you are an adult. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 2:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I told my mom I had something to tell her. I told her that I wasn't gay and that I'm not living with a man...(2 of her biggest fears), then I turned around and showed her my tramp stamp. lol. I must admit...for a pastor's wife, she took it really well. Just tell them...
    dfearless

Answer by dfearless at 3:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2011