Lost with my 7 year old

i am at a loss what to do with my 7yo boy. this year has been nothing but issues with me and him and i am tired of him being grounded from everything. this morning i sent him to school with a bag of cookies to be donated to the christmas program for tues night. insted of doing what he knew the cookies were for he distributed them to his class then to a boy next door. i ask why he didnt do what he was told with the cookies and i get a "i dont know" answer. thats the recent thing he has done. i know some of you will say go buy another, but i currently and trying to save money for presents so dont have it. (i did call the school and they know) he has taken cards to school and lost all of them, each time he took them he lost them. any ideas why he is acting out so much? he knows he will be punished but still does. there is more just not enough room to fit it all.

kikyu

Asked by kikyu at 3:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think it's him acting out, he is just being careless. Just keep talking to him about what he needs to do and why.
    Anonymous

• Kids are very complusive they don't always know why they do the things they do there brains have not completely developed so he doesn't really way the outcome of his actions before he does it. What kind of card? If they are playing card don't let him bring things like that to school he has proven he is not responsible yet 7 is atill young in my eyes it's what 2nd grade my dd is 7 and I constantly losing her homework they get weekly packets so now when it comes home I take it and put it some plac safe. Grounding is hard because it he is already grounded what else is there if he get in trouble
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• (cont) what kinds of things is he doing to get himself grounded?
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• the cards were pokemon. (how even its spelled) . when he first lost them by the teacher taking them i thoguh he had learned. then for some resion he took all of them to school and some kid stole them. also the ones that the teacher took another child stole out of her desk. so he has none left. as far as grounding goes its really anything. most of the time it fits what he did wrong when it cant, 1 to go is games, 2 is movie and 3 is toys. i dont ever take away books coloring or writing cause thats him using his brain. in a nut shell i guess its like he wants to be popluar or the class clown type is the best way to describe him. the other day he and another child were running around the call room before class and they know better. actully for my child thats teh 2 day and a row he was doing it.
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 4:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I am sorry, I do not think he is really acting out. I think that if you are punishing him for every little thing then he does not know what he is doing. Maybe his friends asked if they could have some cookies and he thought it would be nice to share.

I think you need to talk to him and tell him that there are reason why you ask him to do certain things. I would also try positive reinforcement over punishment. Instead of always getting in trouble maybe he could get rewarded for doing good things

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• (cont) he came very close to after school detention. he also talks all the time. each school year he has been sperated from the class in his seat so he can finish his work. if he isint then he doesnt finish or becomes very disruptive. he is very smart though he gets all A and B when he does his home work and gets all his school work done. he gets 110% on his spelling tests and is extreamlly smart. i think sometimes he just lacks logic. and i know u cant teach that.

i am just trying to find a way for him to figuer all this out now before his new sister comes in match. cause i know that bout 5 months after that it will be chaos in the house with a infant and a toddler.
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 4:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• in responce to you cornflakgirl he does get rewarded when he is good and does good things. he was being good for 2 weeks then got his A-B honor role report card and we alowed him to make a world of warcraft character. he was told there are rule to play and giving a paper to sign like a contract about him playing.
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 4:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• oh fyi i didnt punish him for taking the cards that the teacher took to school. i figuered him getting them taken was enough of a punishment. and i was the one that informed the teacher about the cards being stole out of her desk cause it had been 2 months and i had gone to pick them up. thats how she realized they were missing.
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 4:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Have you thought that maybe he's bored if he is really smart and not being challenged enough I have a son like that he gets his work done before the other kids so he was talking all the time so we talked to the teacher and she gives him harder work maybe have him test to see if he is gifted that might help him settle down in class
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• i have thought about it but havent persuied it since he is 7 and in elm school. if he was old i would but now is a great time to just be a kid and enjoy life. maybe between 5-6 grade sure when you can actully do stuff like get collage classes in the morning or credits towards high school. but now i just want him to be good and enjoy......its easyer to seprate him i have asked for more work but to no avale they dont want to listen to that
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 4:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2008