What dosage of Milk Thistle should i take?

Im going to be pumping to build up a supply and im going to be take milk thistle. I just dont know how much i should take. I have 200mg milk thistle seed extract with 80% silymarin.

Love1988

Asked by Love1988 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• That sounds like a good dosage, but are you sure it's safe to take while breastfeeding?

I'm just asking...I didn't take it until my kids were...kids; but that's mostly because I hadn't heard of it until a few years ago.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• What is milk thistle for?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• its used to increase milk production
    Love1988

Comment by Love1988 (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• oh and yes its safe ti use while breastfeeding its on kellymom.com but i dont really understand the dosage on the site
    Love1988

Comment by Love1988 (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• wow...I've never heard of it for milk production before. I take it to keep my liver and kidneys clean. Anyone taking medication that can affect the liver (which is most prescription medication) should take it. If you consume alcohol regularly, you need milk thistle too. (It doesn't make too much drinking safe, but can counteract the negative impact on the liver. Even mainstream medicine is beginning to recognize that nothing protects and detoxifies the liver better, and with no known side effects.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal-rem_j.html#milkthistle
    Love1988

Comment by Love1988 (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2011