What are the chances for a baby to be born at 34 weeks

the doc said i might have lost my mucus plug and that if i feel cramping i should call her or go to the birth center, i was just wondering what are the chances of a baby if she or he were to be born at 34 weeks

ListaPaMas

Asked by ListaPaMas at 2:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Your mucous plug may have fallen out, but unless you are actively dialating it will grow back. It's not a sure sign of impending labor. Just take it easy. And keep track of any contractions you might have.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• it can grow back, jsut an fyi...

baby at 34 weeks is very good chances. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 2:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I lost my mucus plug with my last pregnancy at 31 or 32 weeks and went a week over, so don't think you're doomed to have an early baby just yet. It will try to grow back and you might leak mucus until you deliver...fun times...but the longer your baby is in there safer it will be.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My 2nd baby was born at 33 weeks and spent 2 weeks in NICU.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My friend had a baby at 33wks recently and the baby was fine but had to stay in NICU for a few weeks. I think the baby is foing to be fine at 34 weeks, just needs oxygen until lungs are developed.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I was born 3 months early and don't have any health issues. You should be fine if that were to happen.
    Stefanie1130

Answer by Stefanie1130 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Extremely good. My last one was born at 30 weeks. Her cord was tied in a knot and she stopped growing sometime before then. Stupid doctor didn't notice it on the ultrasound 6 days earlier and wanted to do an internal the next day. I fired him and was going to have her at home. In hindsight I should have and all the others too. Anyway, she was only 2 lbs 1.7 ounces. She did fabulous. No health problems, no developmental issues and she's smarter than the other ones to spite them telling me that preemies are usually slow at everything and have learning disabilities. If the baby is coming at 34 weeks and it's natural like losing your mucus plug it's because the baby is ready to be born. 40 weeks is just their "norm" Two grandkids were born at 44 weeks as well as 4 of my cousins.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• When a baby is born at 34 weeks, they'll probably need to spend a week in the NICU before coming home with you, but 34 weeks is only barely premature, so everything will probably be fine. You may have difficulty nursing if you have the baby early.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I know three women who have had babies at 32-34 weeks, the one at 32 weeks spent 8 days in NICU, the other two spend 3-4 days. All thre babies were perfectly healthy.

Good luck.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011