Im interested in buying the Your bby can read program for my 9mnth old. I just wanted other moms opinions on what you think? Is it good or bad idea?

JacobsMommyy

Asked by JacobsMommyy at 3:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't "teach" reading but rather rote memorization. It can hinder kids later.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 3:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Bad idea. We have it and it sucks, kids wont pay attention to it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Don't waste your money on it. Talk to your baby. Ready to your baby ALOT. That will help more than anything.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i woudln't waste your money, alot of that stuff saids it will help.

Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I had it b/c my SIL gave it to me, but we passed it on to someone else. It's just memorization and my older 3 kids all learned to read using phonics which is much better than learning sight words. Don't waste your money!

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• every time i see that commercial and that little boy is reading and using his finger to follow along...you can tell he memorized it because his finger was moving faster than his reading. i think you should just get some index cards, books, learning dvds. I bought so smart dvds, they are pretty cheap too ($5) I bought the book 100 first words and leap frog frog- learning factory. My daughter already knows the letter A,B,C D, P, S. T. I go over words everyday with her and when I give her something to drink. I will reiterate what I am doing, such as..Drink you water, where is your cup? Im going to pour water in your cup. The key is to keep going over it, even when you feel your baby is not understanding do it anyways. I promise they are learning they are like little sponges they soak up everything! Good Luck!
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 4:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I haven't heard much about the "Your Baby Can Read" series. My son likes Baby Einstein videos. Are they really teaching him? I honestly don't know yet because he's pretty young, but he loves them. They have bright colors & classical music. They keep him happy, so I like them.
    sarenaerin

Answer by sarenaerin at 8:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i wanted to get it too havent heard bad pr good things about it but the phonics works great.
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 11:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Why do you want your baby to "read"?

When respecting "developmental appropriateness," we will realize that it's not yet Time to read yet and this isn't truly helpful.
    Babies don't NEED to read.

Reading later (between 1st & 3rd grade) is perfect.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I have 2 of the dvds.. I like them. My dd likes them.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 11:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2011