Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not a question. know a divoce, but blindsided me with papers that he wants full custody

I am just so upset right now and blindsided and hurt. Anywords of advice for me.

Answer Question

Asked by momindiana at 3:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Relationships

Level 22 (13,326 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Ouch! Not fun. I am sorry you are going through this. He can't take full custody though, unless you are not a good mom. And if you care enough to post about it, that means you are a good mom! =) Try to stay strong and lean on your friends and family!!!!

    Answer by Stefanie1130 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • Fight him. He cant get full custody unless you give it to him or he has reasons to prove you're unfit.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • The only advice I have is: Make sure you have a good attorney who can counter the claims that are being used as reasoning for petitioning for sole custody.

    Good luck to you~  I wish you all the best ~


    Answer by pixie_trix at 3:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • If you have the kids living with you, they aren't going to turn custody over to him unless you are a horrible mother. And that takes a lot. Just don't think you don't have enough money to fight. You can always go to legal aide or even show up without a lawyer. I've known a couple men play the money game to get the kids. Document EVERYTHING. Even if nothing happens that day. Get a journal, each call, visit, the way the children acted afterwards and if no contact that day just write that. It's just a game right now, they almost all try it to wear you down. It will get ugly, but you can get through it. Whatever you do, don't let the kids alone with him unless you already have an order because he does not have to return them. Contact a lawyer ASAP if you don't already have one. And as hard as it may be, don't let the kids hear you say anything bad about him, it will go against you.

    Answer by attap5 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • There is no way he will get full custody unless he has proof that your an unfit mother, maybe joint custody he can get but not full custody. Sorry for what your going through sweetheart keep your head up everything this will get better , remember after the storm then comes out the sunshine. ((HUGS)).


    Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • keep your chin up and fight back. they are your kids to

    Answer by goobersmom713 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • Who has the children right now? Generally that will help decide custody but unless you are a horrible person on drugs or something like that, you shouldn't have a problem with at least getting shared custody.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • He can't get full custody sweets! Tell him to dream on

    Answer by Helen2004 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • he has to have full proof and show your unfit ,,,

    Answer by barrerajuls at 5:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

  • thanks everyone for the words of advice and friendship. I will fight for what I want.

    Comment by momindiana (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.