Breastfeeding question

so i just had my dd on tues and am pumping my milk for her .. my milk just started coming in today and i have a lump in my armpit.. i know this is a store for milk even though i have dd's.. when i pump it still doesnt go away... will it eventually go down as i produce more.. should i pump more .. its just kinda ugly and i want to pump for a long time so i would like tto make it go away without stopping ,.. thoughts/

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sorry honey, not sure on that one. BUMP!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Massage the lump while pumping. It should release the build up of milk. You should actually be massaging you entire breasts while pumping.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I agree with massaging it to release the milk. If it becomes of a concern to you and/or you get a fever, you may want to see your dr to rule out Mastitis.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Milk glands don't extend into the armpit. If you have a lump there it might be a lymph node. Watch out for mastitis like was mentioned. Do keep in mind that a LO will empty a breast better than any pump on the market. I know I had a hard time getting my milk to let down for my pump but it was a cinch with my babies. The better you keep you breasts empty, the less likely you are to get mastitis. At this stage you should be pumping and/or nursing 8 - 12 times per day.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Milk glands DO extend into the armpit :) I just took a breastfeeding class yesterday and that is what the instructor told us. It sounds like it is just a clogged milk duct. Massage it, keep pumping and feeding and it should open up :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 3:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Is it causing you any pain? I would try to massage it hard and apply a warm compress to it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Milk glands do indeed extend to the armpit. And yes,. baby will do a far better job than the pump. Massage the trouble spot.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• just curious, why r u pumping so soon? Unless its needed, its not recommended this early- it will mess up your supply on demand.

the lump message it while taking a shower in hot water, the more you pump/feed it will clear up.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Have you tried massaging the lump? I never got lumps in that particular area but I did get lumps on the side of my breast. I massaged as well as breastfed. usually that worked for me!
    Anonymous

• I got those all the time when I was pregnant and while I was breastfeeding. My doc said its normal is is just an inflammed milk gland. They would go away on their own.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2011