Are you only getting presents for the kids this year and forgoing presents for you and your SO?

We are tight on money, and I'm thinking that maybe it might be time to sit down with SO and let him know he ain't getting **it.

Is this a good idea?

CillaTexas

Asked by CillaTexas at 4:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Holidays

• Hubby and I have skipped getting each other presents for about 5 years now. It's more important for us to be able to give our friends and family presents this time of year than to spend it on ourselves. Money is always tight, so buying for the others always takes all of our funds that we could spend on ourselves anyway. I don't really mind it, though I would like to be able to buy him a present and forget about me. One day we'll be able to get each other something.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• We are not exactly strapped for cash but last night we discussed that we would rather spend the money that we would normally spend on each other on his lil boy. We both like to give and don't care about gifts for ourselves.

I don't know how you can talk your man into seeing otherwise but I agree with you.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Thats is how we are doing it.....we are just doing gifts for the kids, I already told my sisters/brothers etc that we will be giving gifts to their kids only due to how tight $$$ is and 'cuz my boyfriend got laid off last month. I'll be giving my boyfriend something for xmas but it will be "from the boys" and not from me.
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• looks like that's what gonna have to happen. i'm ok with it, as long as my kids get something, i'm fine.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• as for the rest of the family, we went and got family pics done, so they're just getting wallets inside Christmas cards. :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Ah! I don't know what to get Ryan. I'm thinking I might just give him a BJ for Christmas! Lol. At least I know he'll enjoy it. =p He's getting me something but I don't have any idea what it is.
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 5:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• You know the best gift of all is quality time spent together,be it that you sing songs together, or go sledding, or just having dinner together, presents shouldnt be a big deal,christmas is about our savior that came into this world,and we should tell these stories to our children.Make Your Christmas As Simple As Possible,simple things are often times the most remembered!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I wish. I hate shopping for my husband. He never likes or uses what I get him. But he came from a family huge on gift exchanging (lucky for us we live far away from them LOL) so he can't fathom not exchanging gifts.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Last year and this year my SO and I decided to not get each other anything and just do for the kids with the little extra we had.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• You know,

Even when we didnt have kids, and together at the time of 6 years without children,
    i still never got anything, i always bought for him,
    i try and buy for him , and i bought him a shavor this year, but i didnt go overboard like last year,
    when our little dd was one,
    she had so many gifts and he got from me a GPS, and a metal detector and clothes,
    but this year we all felt the cut back , but dd didnt, thank god
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008