I can't even imagine...

One of my husband's cousin's committed suicide this week. He was 19 years old. One of his family members found him hanging in his room. I can't even imagine.... I do crisis intervention for the local health department. Tehre have been sosososo many teens and adults that I have got to in time and talked to and gotten them help. It makes me wonder what would have happened to him if he lived in an area with this kind service? I never met him, and really had never heard of him until this week. (Dh has a very very large extended family). I'm hearing it from Dh's family, and I hear from the familes I work with all the time, they all say "I had no idea." Communication is sososososososo important. I've heard so many times, well I tried to talk to my mom and she wouldn't listen to me or she just blew it off. Please TALK to your children. LISTEN to them! Don't blow them off or ignore what they are saying. Depression is real. And it is treatable. Sucicide is forever. There is no shame in therapy or taking medications, or even a brief hospital stay to get things figured out. And so what if they get mad at you? They're ALIVE and that is more important tahn anything. I would rahter have my daughter aliev and hating me than have her dead. If your child is trying to talk to you listen to them and help them before you end up having to buy a casket for them. I'm not saying it is anyone's fault if it does happen, or trying to blame anyone. But if you ask someone who has gone through this they will probably say "looking back now I see it..."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree OP 100%. Very very sad. In the last few years I've heard of 3 suicides taking place. One was my 1st cousin's girlfriends adopted daughter(who was actually her neice) who hung herself in her own closet at 15. The other was through a friend who's older son committed suicide..he had two special needs kids with some neurological disorder and was married..and the last was through another friend of mine who's boss and co-owner of a company who does seal-coating on asphalt. No one really expected any of these 3 would have taken their own lives.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 4:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I have depression among other things I am medicated and go to therapy regularly I have been in a psyche ward 3 times. What I have found from my own experiences and from others is that a person will look for help if they want it but if a person is in so much pain all they want is to end it and they intend to commit suicide they won't go for help they will just do it will out saying a thing, even more so if they haven't been listened to or taken seriously before. So the person who comes to you saying I'm suicidal is not making a threat or looking for attention they are asking for help.
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 4:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Totally agree! Many parents talk to their children about safe sex, but rarely about suicide. I've seen many things on the news over the past few months about kids doing this at a younger age. My daughter just turned 11 and I've talked with her about it for the first time the other day. Kids need to be aware of the feelings that may arise and how to deal with them. More parents need to start including this in their sex talk.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2011