Do it yourself VS Let mommy do?

Have them clean their rooms/up after their toys themselves? Or let mommy do it? I strongly agree that kids should start helping out and learning responsibilities as soon as they start to crawl. When DS was younger i was content as long as he brought at least 1 toy back to his room when it was time to clean up. Now that he is older i still help, but its more now that i will finish after he has done the majority. Or are you more the type that its not done right till you do it? Agree, Disagree or agree to disagree let me know your routines and tricks. and remember all my questions that i post are not to impose my beliefs, philosophies, ideas ect. They are mainly a tool to display our differences and learn from one another. So please no ill comments keep it civil.

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 4:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I used to expect my 5 and 2 year olds to be able to clean up their shared room on their own, but then a wise mom pointed out that I should do my best to teach them to love doing it so that when they're older they won't absolutely hate picking up after themselves, so now I do it with them and we have a little fun and they're much happier with it. I do still have my 5 year old do most of making her bed, though she needs help getting the comforter on straight.
    busyizzybsmom

Answer by busyizzybsmom at 5:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I usually just do it myself.  Quicker and easier, and DS has the rest of his life for that.  I let him be a kid for now.

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Dd has been picking her room up since she was able to walk at 13 mos! Just little things in the begining but now at 3 she knows how to organize polly pocket from barbie, puzzles go in one drawer dressup goes in the other and all doll stuff goes in the doll crib! lol I have OCD when it comes to inside the cupboards and have to have everything organized but I try to not push it so hard with her because of my obsession. As long as she gets stuff off the floor in generally into the right area I'm happy. I used to clean up after she cleaned just to reorganize but it drove DH crazy.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My son is two and loves to clean up behind himself and his father and I. Today I was running late to get him to daycare so after getting him dressed, I left the lotion, his pjs and baby powder on my bed. Do you know he would not leave the stuff there. He just had to put it away!! lol
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• As soon as they could my kids helped clean up their messes. Then around 3 they started doing it on their own (sometimes with supervision). By 4 I expect them to do the bulk of the work themselves. I'm not their maid or their slave and I refuse to go around picking up messes they make. That just teaches them they can make a mess and someone will clean it up for them. If you wait until they are "older" to teach them they just refuse to do it since they never had to before. My husband is 34 and still refuses to clean up after himself because someone always did it for him. When I've tried to make him do it he refuses. He just throws stuff everywhere and doesn't care if the house is a mess or his clothes smell because he won't wash them or put them in the hamper. His mom never made him do chores as a kid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I make their clean up a fun game. I left most of my 2 1/2 son toy out of reach, so there's on activity at the time.
    brazilianmumsy

Answer by brazilianmumsy at 11:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2011