Phrases I'd never like to hear again in my life

Breastfeeding the magical bond of love,it was the title of the poster at WIC today at our appointment combine that with the other poster with a baby dressed as Einstein that was also about breastfeeding(I'm guessing that you can figure out what that poster was about), four things advertising the lactation consultant,the back of the packet that says"Give your baby the best...BREASTFEED"(yes it's worded exactly like that and has the capitals) and you have the reason I really really hate going to WIC but beggars can't be choosers.

Though as a plus I've never had to deal with the nutritionist that told me I was going to slowly kill him with diabetes and he's a year at the end of the month so no more formula for us till we get pregnant again. So there was still some positives and I never have to look at that horrible poster about if you don't want you baby to get SIDS you need to only breastfeed in the lactation consultant's office ever again.

So I know what phrases I'd like to never hear again, ok probly just the bond of love one actually but how about you guys? If you guys have WIC is your clinic this umm in your face?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think they push BF so much so that they don't have to provide formula. Don't let it get to you, seriously. You are not doing anything wrong by Formula Feeding!!!!! Don't let anyone tell you you are! I was formula fed and I'm just fine! I bet lots of us were formula fed because BF wasn't really the thing to do in the 80s. It's become a trend nowadays and many women use it as a way to feel superior. Sad as it is. You need to feed your baby, simple as that. Formula or breastmilk, it doesn't matter!
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 5:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• In Alaska it was! I couldn't believe it! My friend and I formula fed and we'd go to get checks for formula and were always asked "why don't you breastfeed?" The one here... everything is in spanish so I have no care or clue :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I can be a little stubborn sometimes and I refused to use WIC because of this. I went and had high hopes but it didn't take me long at all to realize not only was I starting to feel guilt that I couldn't breastfeed, but was being told they would help me only if I bought the formula they allowed me to, and then only the milk they allowed me to! No thank you, I will just give up some other things instead and continue to buy what's been working for my baby the entire time.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes our office is like that, and when I went it for an appointment when my daughter was 3 months and told them I needed formula they get very defensive about it. I told them well if you want my daughter to eat I need formula (she completely refused breast milk @ 3 months). They can give me all the diabetes and overweight crap all they want, my daughter is actually in the 60%, so doesn't seem like formula is turning her into an overweight baby.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Ludvik_Smith I've been feeling that way for awhile they found something that would help save money so they jumped on it to the full extent they could. I was combo fed in 1990 because my Mom worked at Chevron alone most shifts(so definately no pumping time there) and the pumping crazy hadn't happened yet. Mostly I just want to be given a little space to make my own choices and I do the same thing for other women.
    07lilmama1108 The one's at my clinic are all bilingual and i read spanish anyway so no help there but thank you fro knowing my frustration.

lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Wow I'm sorry that they are like that :( The WIC Clinic I went too pushed breastfeeding, but not that bad. I started out nursing, but when I went to work my milk dried up and I had to switch to formula. They never said a word about it to me. I agree with pp though. I think they push BF so much so they won't have to provide so much formula. It's the mothers choice 100%. But I think if you're getting free help you can at least try to bf.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I have not been involved in WIC but it seems that breastfeeding zealots are the last group of society-approved bullies! I hate "Breast is best!" and "At least you TRIED." and all of their other BS. We, as women have (last time I checked) freedom to choose how we feed our children. A bottle of formula fed lovingly from a non-stressed out mom is 5 million times healthier than a breast given to a child from a guilt-laden, upset mom who feels she needs to "hang in there" and "keep trying!" because that's what she's been told!
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• They do that 'cause BM it's free and of all the benefits for mother and child. A woman who BF has less chances of having breast cancer. That's all it is to it, they are paid to inform people and ok, to get on your nerves
    brazilianmumsy

Answer by brazilianmumsy at 11:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It has benefits but it won't make your child Einstein,it won't give them SIDS not to have it, and my extensive family history of diabetes will give him diabetes long before the ever formula will.

They don't even say anything about breast cancer they talk about magical bonding, making your child smarter and 16 billion things telling you your killing your child if you give them one drop of formula. But free your onto something there.
    The clinic I go to is 80% complete breastfeeding at six months mostly for cultural reasons rather then health. It's not informing anybody at this point because basically every person that walks in there already has made a choice.
    The women who you talk to around here don't breastfeed because someone told them it was good they do it because it's just what you do around here.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• They're probably just trying to come up with cute ideas. At least it didn't show any negative posters about FFing. It's not like there was a poster of a mom, FFing a 80 lb newborn, or a mom with a bottle in her hand with her un-bonded baby across the room ignoring mom because she didn't nurse. Personally I think you're overacting, but you are entitled to feel any way you feel, and if you feel upset or offended by it, then I'm sorry the posters upset you so much.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2011