Is CPS wrong for not doing anything about this? adult content

My husband's daughter lives with her mother. And she has 2 other kids, plus 3 step kids and she is only 22. She just recently moved to some lodges that are nasty. I mean nasty. They have bugs everywhere, there are drugs with dealing, people getting drunk and fighting out in the parking lot, items in the units falling off the wall and broken. We have seen inside one of these before, a friend of my husband has lived there temporarily and told us, and there is a review from just a few days ago about it. Well anyway, the little girl is living there with them so there is 5 living in 1 unit. It is not even a bedroom. And 3 more whenever her step kids are there. It took the mother 8 months to get her teeth fixed when they were rotting. She had 11 cavities at 3. So now that they finally got fixed, she is still NOT brushing them. She will come over and her gums will be purple and bleed badly when we brush them. We took her to dentist and the dentist said she is not getting her teeth brushed at all it seems. They never live in one place for more than months. The little girl has came over with burn marks, many bruises at one time on her arms, legs, bottom. And she has had lice like 3 times in the past 6 months that we know of. Oh and she has cut her hair like 5 times too. We think the little girl would benefit from being in our care versus her mothers. What do you all think?

We have a house and she would have her own room. They had so many toys to play with. Our boys are very bright and spoiled. She would be too. She is almost 4 years old and don't even know her colors.

I thought I put this in here, but we have called CPS 4 times already and they have done NOTHING!!!

And we have been trying to do as much as we can. But since we dont have the money for a lawyer, it is hard.

Amanda1390

Asked by Amanda1390 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• thats a no brainer- yes she would be better off with you guys. how sad. your hubby should have stepped up to the plate a long time ago and lawyer up.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Most definitely! Get that little girl out of there before worse things happen to her.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• This definitely needs to be acted on immediately. If the child is suffering burns---that is not normal!!! Continue to call CPS, file reports, do whatever has to be done. Have him keep her on the next visit and when she calls the cops tell them that her home is dangerous and not fit to live in and that you are worried about her safety. Document the bruises/burns/lice/anything. I'm not sure where you live, but if you don't have the monye for an attorney is there a legal aid program that could help?
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't know what your home is like so can't really say. If you can offer something better than do it. I'm surprised you have not called CPS and gotten her taken away from the mom if all this is true. What are you waiting for?
    Anonymous

• Cps has legal grounds they have to work with. Contrary to popular belief they cannot just take the kids, they have to have an order to take the kids. Cps works in a valley of red tape and many social works hands are tied and can only do so much.

I'm not sure you can obtain a temporary custody order, but I would take her to the hospital and try. If you see bruises, take her to the er and tell them that you are concerned with how much she is bruising. If the doctor suspects abuse, cps may have more grounds to get her out of their.

Next contact legal aid, tell them the situation. See if there is anything they can help you with. I'm not sure what advice they can give you, but I do know that they have helped some of my friends before with custody issues.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• CPS is pretty much a useless entity. they get paid to sit on their a$$es and do nothing. it makes you wonder when they will actually step in on a situation. my thinking is someone has to die to get their attention. and then it's too f'ing late! I consider them to be tax payers' dollars biggest waste.

mmsfirstone,

Ouch, I guess you really dont know any social workers at all do you. That waste of taxpayers money stepped in and saved my life, and my foster sisters lives and the lives of many other children I met while in foster care. Social workers have to adbide by laws and regulations, many of which tie their hands in many cases. When you have overloaded case workers and a system overcrowded with foster kids who need homes and not enough people willing to open up their homes, there are bound to be issues. The system is not perfect. But I am thankful for it every day of my life.....
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• and for my social worker who worked long hard hours to help thousands of children on a very humble income, and that of the rest of my team who worked hard for me, and for the many children I saw.

The system is broken, and needs reform, but it is not a waste. I wish people would stop complaining about the system, and get involved to make a positive change.

Course its easier to complain and judge when your on a high horse.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• For one a lawyer costs a lot of money and two we have called CPS 4 times and they haven't done anything. Apparently it is not important enough for them.
    Amanda1390

Comment by Amanda1390 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Believe me if we had the money, we would have a LONG time ago.
    Amanda1390

Comment by Amanda1390 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Well let's see, do you make your kids brush their teeth? Do you burn and beat them? Of course they would be better off with you!!!!! Not only do you need to get her out of there, but call CPS on the others!!! What a horrible mother this little girl has!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2011