Is this okay for my preemie baby?

My baby is preemie. He was born at 33 weeks with NO health issues at all, other than low birth weight, he was in the NICU but 3 weeks and was okay to go home. He was never on any oxygen or anything for breathing. He was a perfectly normal baby other than weight, like I said. My husband works in NC and we have been at home away from him. My baby is now 2 months old and just got his shots. Is he okay to take the trip to NC to stay with me and my husband?

jmcrews25

Asked by jmcrews25 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your doctor. If he is not restricted in any way, I'm sure it's fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You didn't say how long the trip is or how you are planning to travel (car, air). Is there a pediatrician who will be able to care for him at his destination? It would have been a great question to ask the doctor who gave him the shots.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Ask you're dr of course but I was told 3 months for flying. Dd was breech and her hips were dislocating at birth, we were flown to a different state for medical testing to see what the next step was and we had to wait until she was 3 months old... she was born at 38 weeks.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• The ride takes 6 1/2 hours but with my baby eating every 3 hours we will probably have to stop 2 times. We are going to try and travel by car at night so that hopefully he will sleep most of the time. I did ask his doctor and he didnt say "no" but I think he was more less wondering how our living situation was going to be. We will be there for 8 weeks and it's just me and my husband. He has never had any health problems and we have been inside for two months. The doctor says "everyone travels, so I wouldnt say that he can't travel" like I said I think he was wondering about our living situation and alot people being around. We will be around less people there than at home so I'm thinking thats better anyway? Since we are only there for 8 weeks (the job ends then) he won't be needing a doctor unless something goes wrong. His next appointment with his doctor is scheduled for after we return back home.
    jmcrews25

Comment by jmcrews25 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I don't see any problem with it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It's just scarey with a preemie! I'm hoping it is okay though! We have been away from dad since he was born except for him coming home some to see him. I just want to be happy and be together as a family with our new baby.
    jmcrews25

Comment by jmcrews25 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My daughter wasn't a preemie, but she had her first plane ride at 8 weeks old... she did great!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 5:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i think it will be fine....make sure hes in his carseat safe, drive carefully and everything will be fine
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• if he doesn't have any breathing issues, then i don't see what the problem would be. does he have reflux? how much does he weigh now?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I am sure it is I have a preemie too nd when she was only a month I traveled 3hrs away
    PreemieMommy23

Answer by PreemieMommy23 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011