will be 3 soon

My daughter will be 3 January 30th and she is a total brat..... We warn her once about not doing something, then she is put in time out and then gets a spanking.... But nothing works... she still acts up. HOW DO I TAKE CONTROL!!! SHE IS CONTROLING ME!!!!????

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 4:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• Love and Logic sweetie. Go get the book. It really does work. But there are all kinds of practical and great parenting books. The key is to find one that works for you and your family. You can go to the library and browse several before you spend good money. Once you choose one - consistancy. Also I'm a big believer in a set routine from morning until bed. This way since the child always knows what is next then there is little guess work or tantrums in transistions. As well as play time set a side just for her where she directs the play and you are participating on her terms. Believe it or not that can make a huge difference. Special dates, serious conversations with her about her behaviors, set parenting style, routine, and lots of love.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It sounds like you are not responding consistently to her behavior. What I mean by this is you escalate with her, by going from time out to spanking. Keep her in time out. There should not be any alternative to finishing out her time appropriately. Take away all priviledges, toys, activities and have her earn them back through good behavior, chores, etc. Don't show her in any way that you are frustrated. You have to maintain an appearance of control at all times. If you are married, make sure DH responds in exactly the same way that you do. Good luck.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• cont...It doesn't mean you have no parenting skills. It just means you need to fine tune things a little. If she were my child I would sit her down and explain that things have got to change. I would do it right before she went to bed, cuddle with her, and have a rather serious talk. She may be three but she can and does get it. Tell her that you love her and part of your job is finding what works for you and for her - and it is not working well at the moment. Explain how you picture your family to be and how you want to get there. Let her know it will be hard with some of the changes. But also put in some fun changes too. Oh, and when my toddler yells to get my attention - I whisper so that he has to be quiet to hear. Sometimes we just need to be creative.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2008