I'd like to learn German.

Do you have any tips or advice on how and where to begin. I have to teach myself. So, I wondered if any of you had particular self study language materials that you were especially pleased with.

Many thanks!

Asked by Womamhood at 4:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I speak German and I am self taught. But my advantage is I lived in Germany and went to High School there. I suggest looking for a German/American book and even looking in the Library and see if they have anything. Good luck and it is a easy language to learn I have a speech impediment and picked it up fast.

Answer by dana63 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

try your library website - ours has access to different programs online and also has different Rosetta Stone programs to take out <--this one's for kids but it might be fun

• rosseta stone is supposed to be really good. My grand parents spoke german and I picked a little up that way. DH and I are learning Czech and just got a few translation dictionaries with phrases, listen to Czech radio stations on the internet and try to speak only Czech from time to time.

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• try the library so you can hear the words not just read the words.. I was taught in high school and then went to school in Germany for my senior year. good luck

Answer by wmbeener at 10:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I'd opt for a course at the community college ~

Answer by tasches at 5:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2011