Why are so many people so anxious to find anger?

Comes up over and over again here, and a new question in R&B uses it again, too.  Why is it impossible for some people to accept that people can practice a different religion than they do without being angry at their god?  Are all these people (usually Christians) angry at Vishnu, Ra and Freya?  Is that why they're not Hindu, Kemetic or Heathen?  (yes, that's a bit rhetorical, we all know what kind of answer that will get)

Seriously, though, is this part of the rhetoric taught in Sunday School in how to convert people class - that everyone would be Christian if only they weren't angry at God, and if you tell them to stop being angry they'll convert?  It's too common to be a coincidence - WHERE exactly is that teaching coming from?  It's not biblical - there's plenty in those books about God's wrath, but nothing about people who are nonbelievers being angry at him.

(main question highlighted to avoid any confusion)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I've never even heard that argument actually, in or out of church. I don't think that people aren't Christian because they are mad at my God...and I've certainly never had the lesson on telling non-believers to not be angry at God. Most people I have heard say they were angry at God, actually believed in God.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It's about monthly here, in spurts - 5 or 6 times in weekend then you don't see it again until next month.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It is not being taught in most Sunday school classes, but it seems to be learned from the actions of their parents and adults while not in church. Many people I know who claim to be Christian, do not live that lifestyle except on Sunday. (Just to clarify... NOT all Christians)
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Interesting. I don't believe that just because other people aren't Christians that they hate "my" God.
    I agree with KennsWifey. I've never heard that in or out of the church I go to.....
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 5:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• There are a few posts from Obby, who I believe is Athiest. There may or may not be actual Christians starting the conversation about it, but why is it that she's bringing it up?

I do think it's all how you interpret a message being sent to the audience (whoever it may be), you could have 10 people hearing the same thing and they'd all come away with a different perspective.
    Anonymous

• but why is it that she's bringing it up?

CM search isn't comprehensive - go to the section those questions are in and page back to the same date and time, you'll most likely find another question just like this one within a few hours of it that the search filter didn't pick up.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I live in a town outside of Dallas that is considered an "old rich" town where there are 2 big churches that are Christian. One is considered traditional and the other is considered new age. A common topic of conversation is "Do you go to Gateway or White's Chapel?" When I say,. "Neither. I practice Taoism." I get a blank stare look and then somehow they try to convert me to the church they are going to. I am not sure why that happens maybe 9 out of 10 times, but it seems as though it is common amongst Christian Religions. But, I do not any other experience with other religions in this area so my point of view is biased.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 5:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i think for some it's a defense mechanism to their faith. it's too hard for them to accept genuine non-belief in their god that they accuse the nonbeliever of being angry, it's the only thing that makes sense in their small, closed minds.

Are all these people (usually Christians) angry at Vishnu, Ra and Freya? Is that why they're not Hindu, Kemetic or Heathen? <----this deserves bacon
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• To Christians, there's one way to God. It's their belief, and they're entitled to it. They aren't being Christians if they do it in a spirit of hate or holier than thou attitude.
    Anonymous

• I'm thinking its probably curiosity for some. Like...Christianity of some sort is practiced by most people, so if you "left' there must be something that *forced* you to go (otherwise so many people wouldn't be Christian?). I'm thinking too...that I know (IRL and online) a lot of angry Christians that seem like they stay with their religion because of fear or pressure, and...I think sometimes it can be a projection. Like...I'm not happy with my beliefs, so you must have disliked them and that drove you to leave.

But really no, I just found a better truth for me.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 5:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2011