How can I teach my son to drink out of a regular cup?

I'm trying to get my 3 year old off of his sippy, but he isn't taking to the regular cup. Any tips or tricks?

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• We're scared of the spills but give 3.5 yo dd her cup just without the lid... they are the take n toss ones so it works out pretty well. Only fill it half way and make sure the liquid can't stain.... And we take it away when she's not drinking out of it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• That is a long time to be on a sippy cup. I would say to take him to a store and let him pick out hi own cup to drink out of. Make it exciting for him and praise him everytime he uses it. Throw or give away all of the sippy cups once you buy new cups. Good Luck.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I am having the same problem with my 4 year old son, its a comfort thing. He only uses the sippy cup at night for milk to go to bed. I have been wondering how to get him to go without it for a year now...hope you have better luck than I am right now with this situation. I went and let him pick out the "big boy" cups and he uses them all the time, but he still has to have the sippy to go to bed. Good Luck
    hottmomma042607

Answer by hottmomma042607 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• try a cup with a straw first, then at dinner time try without the straw..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My son will be 2 at the end of the month and during meal times, and sometimes when he just wants to, we give him a "big boy" cup and he does just fine with it. Practice makes perfect. There will be spills, just tell him it's okay and have him help you clean it up. Praise him when he uses his cup well. I'd just slowly take away the sippy. GL & I hope this helps!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 6:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• really just giving them the cup at age 3, they will figure it out..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Straws!
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Anon,
    I am biting the bullet and trying to get him off of it....hence, why I'm asking for advice. I've never taught a child how to drink out of a cup, so I'm at a loss. You don't need to be rude or post anon or defend your choices.
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• He currently drinks out of a straw sippy. He wouldn't drink out of the spout ones as a baby/toddler. He spills it all over the place if I give him the regular cup. *Sigh* I haven't been that persistent with it though. Thanks for the answers.
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes, straw is the way to transition.
    brazilianmumsy

Answer by brazilianmumsy at 11:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2011