Have you ever tried to adopt an animal from a shelter and been denied?

Why were you denied?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Why r u asking? Were u denied?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes I was denied a kitten because I have a 4 year old in the house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I took home an abused animal from a shelter. Its my only experience with shelters. Im sorry if you were denied.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 5:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'm sorry, no... never been denied however I was denied when I tried to give them a dog because I couldn't care for it any longer!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• We were denied a dog because we only had one of those underground fence, not a "real" one. It's ridiculous! They complain about having too many pets in shelters, and then don't want to give the animals a good home.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Shelters will not let u adopt an animal if there r any kids in the home under the age of 8. The reason is for the kittens protection and your childs. Little kids can be really mean to pets,the pets will defend themselves. That is the reason why the child has to be at least 8 years old. Sorry u were denied,but it is a good reason and that rule is for anybody,they need to make sure the animals r safe!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• BabyBugs mama- the dogs can get around an underground fence. So,they r not safe!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• We live on 150 aces, in the middle of nowhere... My closest neighbors are dhs sister... Where would the dog get before we noticed?? They are way too picky,
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• U just need to convince them that the dog would be totally safe!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No I wasn't denied but ASPCA sure was super picky about tons of personal information, background info, they didn't know a thing about the "biting" problem our rescue dog had.( Hmmm)) It started right off too. Not with immediate family in our home but any visitors...got bit on the back of the calf of their leg. It happened when they were just standing talking in the kitchen both times, drew blood both times. We talked to vet about it at great length and he said they put dogs down like this so, after all that...we went through, we then had to pay to have her put down and didn't even fully get to know her. Very frustrating experience. Very SAD. Maybe most have a good experience but we did not. Next time I bought my puppies from newspaper. .
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 6:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011