Do you ever have a particularly strong attachment to a story on the news?

I know that awful stories about children have affected me much more since I have become a parent than they used to, but the last couple days have my stomach turning.

I live in Michigan, and there is a baby missing. 4 months old, named Katherine, and I have a daughter 3 weeks old named Katherine. The babies even look similar. The father took off with her and when they located him, he didn't have her anymore and is now in police custody refusing to say where she is.

The mother is on the news saying "If she is still alive, she won't be for much longer", and is begging to talk to him saying she doesn't care if he ever even faces charges as long as she gets her baby back. Leads have come back saying to check the lake behind his house.

I am so hung up on this story that it is making me sick thinking about what that mother and baby must be going through. People are DISGUSTING...and I think we ought to ignore his "human rights" and start clipping off toes or something until he talks. It is bringing out my inner crazy!

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I was strongly attracted to both the Kimberly Mays case and the Elizabeth Smart case. Kimberly was a FL girl who was switched at birth with another infant who later died. Right before the other girl died, the swap was discovered. The two sets of parents fought over Kimberly for years, and Kimberly, unfortunately, has not turned out well.

I was attracted to Elizabeth's case because it is the worst nightmare of every parent, to have a child snatched right out of the house.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I agree that he deserves the worst of the worst punishments. And typically, I am a very sensitive person. News stories about kids and animals bring me to tears and politics boils my blood.
    KolaT

Answer by KolaT at 6:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• There have been a few that put me over the edge and rattled me for weeks, particularly the Brianna Lopez case. I am very sensitive when it comes to stories like that so I try not to read a lot about them because they do affect me very much emotionally.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No, when you get my age you pretty well have heard it all.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It's thankfully over now, but the Nicarico case was with me through most of my life. She was about the same age as me, and it was local enough that it changed how our parents acted, how our schools did things - everything. Then having it constantly drag out for decades like a soap opera complete with corrupt police and framed innocent suspects, it seemed like it would never end.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i'm the same way...i don't like stories of rape/molestation, kidnapping or other horrible things to do w/a child. i have personal experience with this things so they are sore spots with me. i feel where you are coming from! feel better hun!
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 8:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2011