Fourth of July celebrations create more republicans?

According to this Harvard study ..

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/06/30/harvard-july-4th-parades-are-right-wing

Do you think there is truth to this study? Are republicans more patriotic than liberal democrats? Will July 4th be our next holiday on the chopping block? ('not everyone celebrates July 4th or is patriotic you have to respect their feelings')

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 6:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's crap! I honestly don't know many republicans, but everyone I know is HUGE on July 4th celebrations...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I think we're on the same wave length...

When I saw this study yesterday, I too wondered if patriotism and patriotic symbols were going to go down the road of being politically incorrect.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I really do not know how much weight the study holds.I do know that my republican family members and friends do seem to be more patriotic than my liberal dem fam/friends.As in more inclined to cheer about the country and display symbols and such.Anyway..I can't wait July 4th is my favorite holiday of them all...got my fireworks ready!
    tnmomofive

Comment by tnmomofive (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Nope, conservative republicans are not more patriotic, they are more blindly loyal to it though.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Because eating potato salad, drinking booze and writing one's name in the air with a flaming sparkler= strong commitment to country. Some people just like to party!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My experience has been that Pubs are more vocal about it. Many Dems/Libs that I know quietly do their duty and show their support through action not words.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 7:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I am amused by this. On 4th of July we always go to the parade in the afternoon, and at night we all go to watch the Fireworks. We have a big family celebration, a cook-out and we decorate with red,white and blue. Our family has Republicans, Democrats and Independents and people who are not even poltical or interested in politics. We are all together, celebrating.
    I bet you that most families do the same thing.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• im a total democrat, and i absolutely love independence day. lol, i (usually, not this year tho) ride my horse in all the local parades, and dress him up with sparkles and red white and blue hoof polish, and fourth of july decorations. this year tho, we will participate as much as we can too, just in different ways. - so i think its crap. people are people, you cant lump them into oh republicans always do this and never do that, and the same for democrats. i think its all personal.
    barrelracer1977

Answer by barrelracer1977 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Err idk empty i'd wager to bet that most of our military is more conservative than anything else.Also conservatives are big on volunteer work and things.Not to say that a ton of liberals are not as well...but the line about liberals showing action more than conservatives is totally absurd imo.
    tnmomofive

Comment by tnmomofive (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You don't get anymore republican then me, and I find that Harvard study to be bull crap. I think Harvard is out of touch.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011