Please give me some answers!

My toddler is making me absolutely INSANE when it comes to eating meals. As soon as he sees me getting him something to eat he starts to fuss and whine because he hates eating. The only thing I can get him to eat is cottage cheese and pediasure but he can't live off of these things. He is not sick, this is how its been for months. I don't even know where he is getting his energy. At first I thought "well maybe he will eventually get hungry enough and eat" but when I try to feed him again he keeps on crying. He is not allergic to anything so there should be no reason why he won't eat. I can't force him because that makes eating a negative thing. I have taken this to the doctor and she is keeping an eye on him because he has lost 1/10 of a pound. What else can I do? I'm sure other mothers out there have had this problem. It's also extremely frustrating because we are wasting soooo much food. I can only heat things up once or twice before they are just bad.

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take him to the store and let him pick from certain things. What kind of things r u trying to feed him?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• He is only 17 months so he doesn't really understand the concept of what different kinds of food are. He will just get whatever looks "fun" to play with. I am feeding him things like spaghetti, chicken, little beech nut meals, cottage cheese, fruit, veggies, and lots of milk.
    BraydonsMama262

Comment by BraydonsMama262 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You do not have to force him. Just put a plate of food in front of him. if he refuses to eat any of the food. Pick up the plate and say "If you do not eat this food you will not get anything else tell the next meal", and then throw it all away and do not give him anything else tell the next meal. And just water.

Answer by louise2 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Change environments. Plan for the next meal at the park (picnic), a restaurant, a mall, grandmas house, etc.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Stop buying the Pediasure and cottage cheese. Give him his food and nothing but water. He will eat his food stick with it. Don't cry, beg, and plead. Give him smaller portions until he realizes he can eat these foods and he will be ok. I promise it will work.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Let him pick some fun foods and you pick an entree to go with it. make it a dinner game.
    go shopping together, tell him where some of the foods come from. do not force him to eat, that will make it worse.
    leave good things around like fruit and water, juice where he can reach it, when he is hungry he will take it.
    chefcrafty

Answer by chefcrafty at 7:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

I was going to say this too. My 2 year old has hit this faze as well. That's what we do.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 7:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Cut back on the milk. Has the doc checked his throat? Could his tonsils be too big and he has a hard time swallowing? 2 of my kids had that, and once they had their tonsils & adenoids out they were eating just fine.
    Anonymous

• My son hates meal time also....I dread feeding time sometimes lol. I honestly sometimes have to distract him and then I can sneak some food in. I still feed him baby food somtimes and that way I can control him eating better. Its hard feeding a toddler. Thank God once in a while he is really hungry and doesnt give me such trouble
    SJSMOMMA

Answer by SJSMOMMA at 1:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2011