Is it normal for your menstrual cycle to change after having a baby??

I had my second baby on April 5. I had my period on May 30 and it hasn't come back yet. I am about 5 days late. I took two pregnancy tests and they are negative. Did anyone of you experience changes in the length of your menstrual cycles after having a baby??

cafemom79

Asked by cafemom79 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is normal
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 7:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• yeah, it's normal. I thought mine was back to normal and am finding now that it's not. I started back up about 2 mos after having my baby. now I'm into my second cycle. I thought it was over and now a couple of days later it's back. it's driving me crazy that I can't rely on it being regular again. I have no idea how long it will take to get back to normal. I'm now back on BC hoping this will help regulate it. so far it's not.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 7:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I've had the opposite problem. I keep bleeding: it stops for a few days, but then comes back. I ended up having to go to the doctor for it, but I had my baby back in January so it's gone on for a while.
    I'd give it a little more time to regulate (maybe a few months). You had a period at the end of May after having a baby early in April. Skipping once that soon after isn't unusual. It can take several months to regulate.
    sarenaerin

Answer by sarenaerin at 7:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I had 1 period in the past over 4 years. I am now 9 weeks preg with number three (all born in the past 4 years) It can take a long time to get your period back to normal- especially if you're breastfeeding.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Oh, yeah. Don't expect normalcy for a long while.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Your body has just gone though some major hormonal changes. Are you breastfeeding> That will have an effect as well. It will take a while for your body to get back into the old swing of things. Just each heathly and if you are feeling ok, just let nature take its course in healling.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 1:46 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yeah lol- I didn't have a cycle for 10 months, had one, then went about four months before another one, then had a few 28 day cycles, got pregnant, and now six months pp haven't seen any signs yet.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2011