What is the deal with people who insist on backing their car in?

I just don't understand this. Either way you have to back up and if someone is behind you in a parking lot and you pass the space, they have probably moved up behind you preparing to take the space and have not left room for you to back up. Then they have to back up so you can back in. It's inconvenient for them. This happens when people want to back into their driveways too. So what is the deal? Speedy getaway from the cops? This is not the same thing as pull through in a parking lot. Which I completely understand. Unless you are pulling through as someone is about to park there.

HollyBoBolly

Asked by HollyBoBolly at 7:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I back in to park in my apartment complex a lot. It has nothing to do with a speedy get away from cops (??). People go too fast even with the speed bumps in place, and it's easier to get out and not risk being rear ended from backing up out the space.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Lol...I have noticed this and don't get it...just like circling and waiting for the CLOSEST spot so you can get out and WALK all over the mall/store....
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 7:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• UGH! My husband is one of these. He SAYS it's because he doesn't like backing out of a parking space; that he can't see well enough to be comfortable doing it. He's also a drive/change lanes with his rear view mirror kind of drivers.

I don't get it either, I think it's faster to just pull in, and cautiously back out, like driver's ed teaches.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• LOL!! The only time I back into my driveway is when I have to unload stuff from the back of my vehicle (happens alot right now). Usually I don't ever back into a space, if I want to make it easier to pull out I find a space that has an empty space right across from it and just drive straight into the 2nd space.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I park in a parking lot that way or pull through when I can. I know who is around when I pull up and can see if there is anyone I need to watch out for when parking. I am not sure of who is walking around or behind my car after I get in and start my car and put on my seatbelt. I just think it makes more sense to be cautious before going into the store rather than have to worry when I leave.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• We back in to our driveway and in to the garage. It is just easier for the next trip out. That and so no one hits us while we backing out of the driveway. We live on a very quiet street with a 15 MPH speed limit. Next door neighbor was backing out and got slammed by someone speeding around the bend.

Now we do not back into parking spots at a mall or anything like that. We park way, way out, away from everyone else, and walk.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I back onto my driveway to unload my car for one thing, but besides that I back onto my driveway even when I don't have anything to unload. It's just a personal preference.  I prefer that when I'm leaving the house, I just want to drive right out. I don't want to bother with backing out if I'm leaving to go someplace, I would rather bother with backing in when I'm returning to home and have more time. I'm the only one that parks on our drive so I'm not affecting anyone else.

KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I was under the impression it was a safety issue. :)
    LaLopez

Answer by LaLopez at 7:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I guess this was more for the people in the parking lot because that is what happened to me this morning. I had to back up so they could back in. If you pass the space.....that's it.
    HollyBoBolly

Comment by HollyBoBolly (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I always back into to my driveway. I live right near the stop sign and can't see around the corner, so someone could come flying around the corner as I'm backing out. It's easiest for me.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2011