What do you think?

My husband and I live on an AF base that has a big problem with DUIs. When there is a certain number of DUIs the ALCON level goes to red (ALCON means Alcohol condition). It is ALWAYS ALCON red here. All they do when this happens is restrict the hours that you can buy alcohol on base. I believe something more needs to be done here. About 3 weeks ago a young Airman actually killed a pedestrian while driving drunk (he obviously got punished) but the base in general only had a punishment of wearing their reflective belts at all times while in uniform. (The "punishment" only lasted 1 week). This past weekend another young Airman was killed in a crash while driving under the influence. Obviously something more needs to be done here, but I have yet to see anything being done about this. What would you do to bring down the number of DUIs during the month? I believe drastic measures need to be taken @ this base because obviously what they are doing isn't working. There is usually anywhere between 2-5 DUIs a weekend. The number of days this base can go without getting a DUI usually stops @ 5, occasionally they have been able to go as long as 20 some days. (Which I still think is pretty unacceptable.)

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 7:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. Sounds like you have good ideas. I'm not sure who you go through to get your ideas heard at a base.

Wonder if you could start a mothers against drunk driving branch there...see what you and other moms can do.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 12:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• That is going to be a tough battle but I commend u for taking note of the dangers!
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 7:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i think that the same punishment(s) that go for those who are NOT in any branch of the armed forces/services needs to be applied to those who are. no license, revoked/suspension of operating a vehicle OF ANY KIND, DUI classes, jail time if caught driving...etc.
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 8:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Oh that does happen to the person that got the DUI, what I mean is that they try to "punish" the base as a whole to lower the number of DUIs, they think that if they do what they are doing that less people will drive drunk. Their plan has failed, IMO they need to lock down the base for the weekend, no one can leave to get alcohol, which means no DUIs, and then maybe they will learn,oh we should call a cab or have a DD, they even have an Airman Against Drunk Diving program, where if you are really stuck in a bind you can call a number and volunteers will go pick you up and drive you home. This week they even put the car of the young man that died in an accident last weekend on display in front of a building on the main road (let's hope that serves as a wake up call to everyone).
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The military tends to work everything as a 'unit', but it also stresses personal responsibility. Are these airmen NOT getting LORs or other personal 'attention' that reflects on their records??
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I believe they most likely are getting LOR's...my issue is that I believe we need to do something about it before the DUIs happen. Such as having harsher consequences for the whole base when someone gets a DUI, then maybe they will learn not to do it not only because they are being reprimanded by their superiors but also because they friends are also suffering from that one persons' mistake. Much like what happened during basic training, one person messed up and everyone paid the price.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I agree with you and I didn't know that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2011