Have you/Would you enroll your son in Boy Scouts of America?

Why or why not?

Kat31

Asked by Kat31 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope never. Not unless the BSA decides to suddenly change their stance on atheists/agnostics and gays. I can't, in good conscious, support a group like that.
    They have the right as a "private organization" to discriminate and I have the choice to not have anything to do with them. They just don't share the same core beliefs that I do and I won't have my boys around that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would (if I have a son). My brother was in Boy Scouts and my sister and I were both in Girl Scouts. I believe my husband was also a boy scout. I learned alot from Girl Scouts and I made some great friendships.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I have...it has a lot to offer if you find a good one. In our area, no one would participate. All the leaders quit, boys stopped showing up, so we stopped as well. They have a lot of things though. They have to do all kinds of stuff to earn their badges, really good for them, camping, fishing, sports, etc....lots of BOY things.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 7:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My husband will be enrolling our son in Scouts through their church in the fall.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't. I dosagree with their beliefs. As jusanotherjen said, they are a private organization and have every right to their beliefs, but I also have the rightto choose to not have my child be part of an organization like that.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No, I don't think so, I think their stance on gays is contrary to my beliefs. I know I am not the only belief system that will influence my son, but I would try not to send him to a place that is is obviously exclusionary. And then seeing grown men in boy scout uniforms creeps me.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No. I prefer to support groups that more align themselves with my beliefs. Atheist and gay discrimination is not something I want my son to learn.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 8:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'm not referring to the individual, local groups, but the organization as a whole. I'm sure at the local level it rarely comes up but I will not fundraise/support for a group that is discriminatory. If they excluded just catholics or just muslims I wouldn't let him join either.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 8:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i was thinking about it, but now seeing the replies, i dont think we are going to. where you able to find that? i wouldnt want my ds a part of an organization like that.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Nope.. Don't like what they stand for. But that's me.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011