Are your parents married? Does it affect you either way?

Asking because I visited home this last weekend, and the fact that my family is split up still affects me today. My kids have so many sets of grandparents now, I can't just go home to one place, I have to go to several to see all of my family. I know it isn't right but sometimes I wish my parents were married, I think it would be easier. And I also have to say, it makes me want to succeed in my own marriage that much more. I don't ever want my kids to have to go through this.

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• I can't even imagine how hard this would have been. My parents were married for 48 or so years but my dad passed away to Cancer about 5 years ago. My mom is still single, not even dating. She will never be with another man. She was with my dad since she was a kid. He was the only one she was ever with. They were soooo in love until the day he died.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents divorced when I was 16 and remarried when I was 21 before I had children. I'd imagine it would have been a lot different around holidays etc if my parents remained divorced.
    Kat31

Answer by Kat31 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents are married. I think it's wonderful and I'm fortunate. I don't think you're wrong for wanting your parents to be married, even though there are many different kinds of families, I think it is easier when your family gets along, loves & supports each other.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents30th Anniversary is tomorrow and while they have had their tough times they made it together, I am so glad because I really didn't know that many kids that didn't have divorced parents. I didn't have to worry about whose house to go to this weekend or holiday. IL are still married too, their 22nd Anniversary is later this month (the are a bit younger than my parents). I am so glad that our children have 2 sets of grandparents and that is it.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents divorced when I was little. I took it hard but it got better over the years. I think it will affect people mildly with relationships but nothing that can't be worked on.
    Blueyedgirl311

Answer by Blueyedgirl311 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents are married but honestly I would have had a better childhood and relationship with them if they were divorced. It's a relationship that just doesn't work.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents divorced when I was 5 years old. I think it is hard on my brothers b/c they have to split their time between my mom's and dad's for holidays and even after being divorced all these years, they are not comfortable around each other and events where they both need to be there. Its not hard on me, I don't have a relationship with my dad so I only visit my mother when we are in town for holidays.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents divorced when I was a small baby. I don't know what it's like to have married parents.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents were happily married for almost 49 years.  My father passed away 5 days before their anniversary.  I have been happily married for 22 years (23 on the 9th).

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My parents are not married anymore. They split up when I was 16. And for us, its better this way. Both of them are much happier now, they are still very civil to one another, and we all live within a mile of each other. We still spend holidays with them and my brothers, and truly nothing is changed for us, other than they live seperately.
    I am glad they are no longer together. Everyone is at peace like this :)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2011