At what age do YOU think it is okay?

I know that state laws vary. And it was very different when we were kids. But when would you allow your child to stay home alone?

My son is 8 almost 9 and he is very responsible for his age. He wants to stay home alone and I would let him, but military housing says 12 so I stick to that. I stayed home alone at 7 for about an hour at a time.

HollyBoBolly

Asked by HollyBoBolly at 7:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Age 12 or 13 probably depending on child and length of time.
    Kat31

Answer by Kat31 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It depends more on the kid than their age. I wouldn't let any child stay home under the age of 12. There isn't a state law here with a minimum age though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• My son is 9 and very immature and irresponsible. We won't be staying home alone for a looong time.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I also think it varies by the kind of area you live in. When I was little we lived in a small town. My parents let my sister and I stay home alone alot, she is older than me but when I was 7 and she was 10. (It was the kind of place that you didn't need to worry about locking your doors or leaving your keys in the car.) But where we live (even though we do live on base) I don't think I would want my kids alone until they are much older.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It depends on the kid and how long you're talking about. I'd try a kid out on staying home for 15-30 minute errands before making them responsible for themselves for any longer periods of time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i feel ya i stayed at home on my own at a young age too prob same as u. the thing is can u trust him?kids these days are dif to how we are but u kno ur own child.just becareful with the whole military housing thing u do not wanna get cought letting him at home alone coz as im sure u know the military make big deals outta small issues esp if its the marines trust me i know ( military wife hope soon to be mom).
    joyrc

Answer by joyrc at 7:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Every child is different. I swear, my oldest DD came out of my body already 30 yrs old. LOL. Even still, I would have NEVER left her home alone at 7 yrs old. She did start babysitting at age 11. But, that was with me right next door for any dire emergencies. I have an 8 yr old granddaughter. And, though she is mature for her age, for the most part, she is still a little girl. And, we would NEVER leave her home alone! Although a child that age knows the difference between right & wrong, what they should & shouldn't do...they really aren't mentally prepared for the real emergencies such as fire, break-ins, etc.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 7:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• So far with the way my kids are they will be 12 or 13 before they stay home alone. I was a latchkey kid at 7 or 8, and was watching my brother at 10 and he was 6. But it was a different time and I was mature b/c I had to be. Not saying that we didn't do things we were not supposed to, but no one ever got hurt.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• it depends on the maturity level of the child id say between 7 - 9..whe we were younger my older sisters were babysitting me by ages 8 and 10..i was 3. My parents went out every weekend..i do feel that they should have waited until i was atleast 5 before leaving me in the care of my older sisters...they used to torture me. i have been duck tapped to the floor, had my barbies hair chopped of in front of me mercilessly, they once tied me up with a jump rope and put me in a silk sleepingbag and slid em down the stairs (i was a little older then about 6-7). by age 8 i used to say home alone, my sisters were older then and they would go to thier friends houses. I knew not to answer the door and that i could cook but i could only use the microwave. i came out fine. i have discussed theis with DH and we feel that if DS is ready by like around 7-8 he can be left home for a few hours..
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 7:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• 12 or 13
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2011