What type of discipline do you use?

Please no nasty comments, I am seriously curious as to the other forms of discipline out there right now. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• Positive parenting. I use Love and Logic approach as well as P.E.T. and I prefer natural/logical consequences. Discipline actually is a 24/7 job. It doesn't mean just for punnishment. It is your philosophy on parenting when "discipline" is used in terms of parenting. Mainly I tell my son what I expect, have talks and explain - it works. I also use time outs/time ins and it does well for my little guy. I used to do parenting classes and help families to learn to get along better so I had some tricks up my sleve even before I became a parent. Now I get to practice what I preaced. I find it works well but I also know that all families are different and you have to find your own groove.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• What!!! Im a buster through and through... No lame time outs here... Kids need discipline... An busting there butt is not hurting anything...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• No discipline.

www.unconditionalparenting.com really recommend you read that book...also playful parenting by Lawrence Cohen..read the reviews on Amazon for that. REALLY great.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We spank, but we also use natural consequences whenever possible. My daughter was playing near a cactus outside and I said "Don't touch that, it will hurt you." She wandered around it and stared at it, and I knew she would touch it. I kept a CLOSE eye on her, I wasn't going to let her fall on it or anything, but sure enough she reached up and touched it. She cried, and I COMFOTED her and told her "That's why I told you not to touch it, see?" The next time I told her "Don't touch that" she LISTENED. That's what it takes sometimes. And now, I only have to say it ONCE.
    Oh, and if you're appalled that I let her injure herself, she was fine, she didn't even bleed.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 6:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I suck at discipline at least that is what my husband says so sorry if I don't have a good answer, give me a situation and I'll tell ya what I would try to do in it, mind you it doesn't always work cause I do suck at it.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I let my kids run wild like buffalo...
    lol
    Anonymous

• We do many- warnings, timeout, take away toys, and The Belt!
    Anonymous

• Pretty much go to your room and slapping hands for trying to touch dangerous things, plugs and things like that.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We do timeouts...but sometimes my youngest just needs her booty spanked every now and then! I rarely have to spank my oldest one, if ever. I've heard all about the re-direct them approach and not telling them no...blah blah blah! My cousin did that with her daughter, and she was a wild child!!! I've tried it and they just go back to the same thing even after finding something else to do....I personally don't think the re-direct and not telling them no works. My mom told my cousin's daughter No one time, and my cousin said "we don't tell her no, we just re-direct her."...Umm...that didn't fly in my mom's house, so we rarely see them anymore LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I use many different forms of discipline. I will spank, make them stand in the corner, grounding and soap in the mouth. Like MamaCatCat I will let them learn by example, if they touch something they aren't supposed to and get hurt I will comfort them but sometimes it's the only way to get them to understand.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2008