I have been putting Apple Prune Juice in my daughters bottle

She is almost 3 months old, and at first I told my MIL no no no..I will not put juice in her bottle b/c I heard your not suppose to give it to them till they are 6 months, well I have heard many theories..but what do you think?See, I breastfed her for 8 weeks, then I slowly graduated her to formula.As soon as I started giving her formula she became more and more constipated ( hard, rocky poo) and you could tell it was painful. Well the MIL said juice with a little water, but I said no juice, especially no water, so I put like 1 ounce of juice to 4 ounces of formula and she has so much relief from it!I tried the leg movements, kayro syrup,and rubbing her tummy, using a thermometer, this is the only thing that works. So do you think its ok?BTW, my current Pediatrician is worthless, I think if I asked him if I could give her a beer he would say OK! ...

laurenparent

Asked by laurenparent at 4:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's early and not ideal to give them juice at this age, but if it works for her and she's had no negative reactions to the juices, then why change it. I'm sure it'll be fine. Ultimately we Moms have to decide individually for our own children, we can't always follow the guidelines.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think its fine. My daughter is 5 months and i have been giving her pure prune juice diluted with 1 oz of water since about 2 months. I started with 2 oz daily and notw she gets 4 ox a day. It just keeps her from being constipated. We had lots of trouble with that. I also give her apple juice. Sometimes i alternate days. But to me the prune juice is what does the trick.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you should shop for a new ped. I think the amount you are giving is fine; sounds like very little, but enough to get the job done...lol!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 4:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Have you tried switching her formula? She might tolerate one brand better than another.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• When my son was about 3 months old he was extremely constipated and his ped. told me to use white grape or pear juice twice a day in place of the water in his bottles. Juice and formula? sounds gross but it helped him a little
    lexb123

Answer by lexb123 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• No juice before 7-10months.

the constipation is normal when you switch to different formula or from breastmilk to formula or then from formula to solids.

you are not suppose to give juice yet, for a good reason. A babies stomach usually cant handle the fruit acid- even when u mix it with water.

of course it helped your little one and thats great. but it could get worse when the stomach gets upset.

Try to get your munchkin some baby tea (WITHOUT caffeine of course!!!).. real baby tea (fennel is the best for baby's stomach and when they are constipated)...

if you want to give your baby juice though, then buy baby juice. but def. no reg. juice (mixed with water). not at this age. :-/
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I have never heard of baby tea...but my ped. said it was fine to give my 3 month old cereal even juice between bottles because she is ALWAYS hungry. I stopped giving her cereal because it hurt her belly, but she does drink juice, and "adult" juice..I'm pretty sure is the same thing as "baby" juice. You just have to go by the cue's your baby's giving you or by his/her reaction to things that they try out because only your baby knows if they can handle something or not.
    Oh and i was going to say when you switch formulas babies usually do get constipated from that, but if it continues with the same formula, maybe you should switch.
    luvmy2girliez

Answer by luvmy2girliez at 5:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• 1 oz of 100% prune juice in a 4 oz. bottle of (3 oz.) formula is good to keep babies regulated.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Obviously your baby is already tolerating the juice just fine. I think coming here and asking was a mistake though, because all the "know it all" moms are going to say NO NO NO. You know what has been working for your baby, just go with that. I bet some moms here would have a heart attack that my daughter is 5 months 1 week and I have started her on veggies . . . but she's my baby and I know she's ready . . . it all comes down to the fact that YOU ARE THE MAMA and you must be the judge of what is best for YOUR child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• A small amount of juice for consipation is fine. And 1 oz is the perfect amount. We give it all of the time for constipation in babys in the hospital. We give Pear or Prune.
    I would look into a different formula though AND a new pediatrician
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2008