Should I insist that his mother pick him up?

I babysit a couple of kids. One of them has diarrhea today. He developed it while he was here. I called his mother and told her and she asked me to keep an eye on him and call her if it got worse, but that she couldn't afford to leave work. I really understand that spot, I've been there. I want to help her out, but not at the cost of my family's health.

Should I insist that she come pick him up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• you can take care of it until the mom comes home. Give him chicken broth diluted in water, just in case he gets nauseous. Make him drink LOADS of water so he doesn't get dehydrated. Wash your hands and your kids hands a lot make him rest too.
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 8:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Yes, you should. As a mother, I would not expect a sitter to take care of my sick child. I would call my mother or sister or someone to come get the child until I was out of work if I could not afford to leave myself.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• That is a health hazard for the rest of the kids. For the brief time I had my son in a daycare facility he HAD to go home if he was vomiting and/or had diarrhea. AND, he was not allowed back until he was symptom-free for 24 consecutive hours.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• If it developed while he's been there and it the flu then you're already exposed. Keeping him seperated from other children and fequent had washing will help. Diarreha doesn't always mean illness, it could be somthing as simple as a food didn't agree with him.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• She should absolutely come get him. It's a rule at any daycare so why should your house be any different? Plus, the longer he's around the other kids, the longer they are exposed to whatever is wrong. If she can't leave to come get him then she should have an alternate person authorized in her absence.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• yep, pick him up
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Well, if you don't care about your own kids getting sick then keep the kid in your house.
    Anonymous

• For me, it would depend on how bad the diarrhea is..
    MommyCatalina

Answer by MommyCatalina at 12:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would treat him as if he were my own child. Kids get sick, it's a fact of life. We don't wish it on anyone, but if he is sick and the diarrhea is not caused by too much juice or fruit, your kids have already been exposed.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Ah see, I take a different approach when it comes to health. We don't immunize so my children's immune systems are excellent. I don't mind my children being around other children that are ill because it develops a natural immunity. However in your case, if your children get sick easy, then I would feel the same as you. Monday is a holiday and you don't want to have your children in the bathroom all day. In both of our choices though, with a child with diarreah, I would insist on him going home. This is a little much for a babysitter to have to handle, it's not a simple cold. Besides, if a child is sick they need their mommy.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2011