Till what age do u need to keep sterilizing baby's bottles for? My daughter is almost 1 and I keep sterilizing her bottles every time she uses one, but it's becoming a pain in the butt.

iri24

Asked by iri24 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • I don't know that sterilizing every feeding is really necessary, unless there's a medical reason why.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm not sure it is either, I'm just a germ freak....lol
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• You could probably stop now. And maybe just steralizze them every few days or once a week. Just wash the in hot soapy water and maybe add a cap full of bleach every now and then. And rinse real good. I still steralize mine to> but only because we have really bad water (has a lot or iron in it) So i have my mother in law send me jugs of water and i steralize my bottles using it. But if i had good water, i would only do it about 1 a week.
    Anonymous

• I just stuck them in the dishwasher :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• n the days before dishwashers and safe water supplies, sterilization was not just a common practice, it was necessary to protect babies from illness or possibly even death. If you have an alternate water supply like a well or there's been a flood or other disaster in your area, it's still necessary even today. But parents who use a dishwasher and have a safe city water supply need not ever sterilize bottles and nipples.

And even when you get a recommendation from a health care provider, you might inquire about why this practice is necessary. Some doctors may know that the water supply in your area is not up to par, but some physicians have just always told parents this and it's a habit that's hard to break. You shouldn't be afraid to ask. Besides, if the reason is because of a poor water supply, you will want to boil water and sterilize dishes for your entire family, not just your baby.
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• you dont need to steralize them every day.

i never did with our daughter's bottles. We washed them seperately from all the other dishes. and since you shouldnt use 1 bottle longer than 2-3 months anyway it wont really matter
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• By this age she's putting everything she can find on the floor in her mouth. Your shoes, bugs, something she thinks is a raisin. The list can for miles. My point is unless you sterilize everything around her. Or she lives in a bubble. Hot soap and water should suffice.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• oldermomof5 has the best point. I never thought of it that way.
    Anonymous

• yea I stopped at like 6 months with my older daughter.Now, I do use the dishwasher, and in between loads I just wash with soap and water.
    luvmy2girliez

Answer by luvmy2girliez at 5:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• it's okay to stop now. wash by hand after each use, hot soapy water with a bottle/nipple brush, works just fine.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008