What is your purpose of engaging in debates about religion?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 8:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'm merely here to share - to hear the opinions of others and to share my point of view. I'm here because the various ways of looking at faith fascinate me, and in considering all of the various ways of understanding I also continue to cultivate my own understanding. I am NOT here to convince anyone to believe as I do, or to try to change anyone's mind about anything - although I do try to correct misinformation whenever I see it, but you get what I mean, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• social interaction with someone old enough to vote (ie someone that isny my 3 year old!).

but in seriousness i just like religion...all of it. the psychology behind why someone is one faith but not another, the sociology of cultures w/ certain majority religions, the history of all faith systems, the mystery that surrounds it all, the power & potential of it, the emotional connection one feels, etc. i just love talking about religion. the debate part is just to get a more well-rounded education on it all.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I like to understand more about what other people believe and why. I learn a lot about my own beliefs and the strength of those beliefs by discussing them with people who do not believe the same as I do.

But mostly I'm here for the rum, cake, and Johnny Depp....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• To know I'm still on the right path for me. If you never challenge what you belive, how can you say 100% that it is what you believe. I find debates strengthen the beliefs I already hold or make me consider something else. And to correct mistaken assertions like the above person said.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• To look deeper into why people do and think as they do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Patly to correct the many incorrect assumptions people have about atheists, part curiosity, and part to understand the psychological workings of others and how their beliefs affect their thinking or vice versa. Primarily the first two though, and well because if you hang out here long enough there's bound to be pictures of Johnny, mead, and bacon cupcakes.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I like learning about what people believe and why- it fascinates me for some reason.  I have learned a lot here and it has made me realise that I'm good with what I believe...or don't ;)

and yes- there is the Johnny Depp and goodies part too wink mini

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I find religion interesting, and there is a broader variety of beliefs here in one place than I would typically run into in daily life all in the same place! I also find the debate to be fun and intellectually stimulating.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• To learn, understand and share. To challenge, evaluate and dissect. To find common ground.
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I think it's interesting to discover the whats and whys of the beliefs of the religious.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011