Why won't God heal amputees?

From the website by the same name.

When the question of prayer comes up in this or the R&B section, there are a variety of answers about its power and what sort of prayer is answered.  What I find interesting are the numerous interpretations of the words of Jesus, who is reported to have said in the Bible in several books and verses something like this from Mark 11:24: Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 

Some people believe that God has answered their prayers by healing cancer or awakening a loved on from a coma.  On one of the pages of the link I provided, there's a story of a girl who was bitten by a rabid bat and contracted the deadly disease before a vaccine had been created.  By God's hand, through the power of prayer, so the story goes, she was cured of what modern medicine was unable to fix.

The question is, then, if God is omnipotent--nothing is beyond his power and will--and if the prayer is strong enough for, example, him to remove a tumor or a deadly virus, then why won't he help a deserving amputee regenerate legs?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 8:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Because we're not lizards. We can't regrow limbs no matter what

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Sure, butterflyblue, but if we are "God's creation" and he has the power to do anything, then why don't we have that ability? Why did he give it to lizards, but not the creation he was supposed to have loved more than any other?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Of course WE can't regrow limbs, but certainly god can! ;)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• God may not give them their actual legs back, but maybe God will answer their prayers by making prosthetic legs available to them. spontaneously regenerating legs would be awesome, but thats not in the realm of possibility. if that happened it truly would be a miracle and not one of those "miracles" we always hear about.

(FTR, i dont think prayer/God work in the "gimme this cause i asked for it" way & i think evolution gave lizards that ability, but just throwing something out there).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• We may not be whole here on earth but we will be in heaven.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Autumn, then why bother removing a tumor from someone or cure other illnesses? Why not just make them healthy and whole again when he or she dies and reaches heaven?
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsBettyBowers#p/u/4/m5QqEmBi8iw

above video may have your answer, warning some find betty bowers offensive.

while I cant explain God's way but I can tell you what I think according to my beliefs, I believe we are here to achieve soul perfection, in order to do that we have to come back several lives and experience different things, and we all have a plan so to speak and in there we have certain events planned that cause us to be better "spirits" so we have to experience hardships. While some people see tragedy as punishment, I see as the way things are suppose to be, its what needs to happen according to plan. not saying everything happens is in the "plan" cause we still have free will. So when a soldier looses a limb chances are s/he had planned that even before they came here. continued ..
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• that just makes more sense to me and also a little bit more comforting than having an all loving God allow this to happen as if that person is undeserving. im sure a lot of people will disagree with me, nothing wrong with that
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• What about the innocent child who loses a limb due to cancer or an accident? Could a loving god find a child undeserving of a new limb? What kind of lesson would an innocent child have to learn in such a harsh way?
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• exactly OP, thats why the whole christian thing does not make sense to me, why should a child be punished? however what i believe with all that happens, good or bad is suppose to happen cause while we are on the spiritual plane, we make a plan assisted by elders, gods, godesses, and in a way we choose what happens.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011