Affordable Rent?

People in the community keeps telling me that I'm paying too much rent ($1,490.00 each month) for two bed apartment. Is it true that there are ways to live in nice apartment in a good neighborhood with half of the price I'm paying right know. Can somebody please tell me if this is true or should I tell people to stop lying?

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• Our rent for a three bedroom duplex is 2,300 a month. It's really nice, but with no backyard. There's a tiny lanai, and no front yard either. 2 1/2 bathrooms. 1 car garage.

We live in Hawaii, so the cost of living is really high compared to the rest of the USA.

If you included what part of the country you live in, we could probably help you better. =) Just varies by your location.

Answer by Razelda at 4:26 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• OMG yes u are paying too much.. get a house if your going to pay that much!!!

• Like the others said, it depends on where you live. Here that would be considered cheap.

Answer by miss_lisa at 9:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Depends on your location.

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Like everyone has said it really depends on where you are at.
    Where I am, I can get a three to four bedroom house with a large yard to rent...
    I am currently renting a three bedroom house, one bath with almost an acre yard for 870 a month, but I'm also kinda out in the middle of nowhere and have to drive a half hour to get to the city lol.

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Depends on the city - etc but we didn't pay that much living in Denver before the economy turned, it's always worth a check to see you're getting the best deal.

Answer by Tess929 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Well, it really depends on what part of the country you live in, but for here, yes, that's waaaay too much. I'm paying less than half of that for a 3 bedroom house on a 1/4 acre in a nice town.

• Holy mackerel - even in the most expensive city around here that would get a big house - 3-4 bedrooms, a big yard, etc. Idk where you live but that sounds outrageous, especially if others that live around you say so!

• Here, in North Georgia, that will get you a BIG house, or a REALLY nice 4 bedroom apartment. We pay $600 for a nice 3 bedroom duplex with a fenced in back yard and BIG rooms.

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It really depends on where you're living. I live in NYC and pay $2000 a month for a two bedroom apartment in a less than ideal neighborhood.

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2011