How do you stop the constant fighting?

My kids are 3 and 5 and they fight over EVERYTHING, it is starting to drive me crazy.

What do you guys do to stop the fighting, if you are in my situation? Is it b/c they are so close in age, but it is fights about the side of the couch they are sitting on, or who gets to hug me first (AHHHHHH)

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• water bottle. spray them when they fight
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• When you find out let me know. Mine are 3 and 8, so 5 1/2 years apart and they fight alot as well. The only thing that helps me is to send both to their rooms for quiet time (playing, reading, whatever) to give all of us some breathing room. I feel your pain though. If it's not actual fighting, it's 'she's my mommy, no she's mine, I was sitting next to her first, no I'm helping not you, etc'. While some of it is cute it's never ever quiet.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• if they fight over the side of a couch.. you need to teach them to take turns. tell them until then they can sit on the floor.. as for hugs tell them you love them just the same and it doesnt matter who gets the hug first.. the person that hugs first gets a kiss second? person that hugs last gets kiss first??
    Anonymous

• yes it isn't actual fighting, its bickering and one up manship. I have been calling them the Bickerson's.
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• All 4 of mine are 2 years apart, and it is pretty much constant around here. I feel your pain!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Unfortunately I think all kids do this! I used to tutor kids and we actually had 2 kids fight over who got to be last in line! (I had never seen this before, but both insisted on being the LAST in line.) We eventually made a rule that they would be the first 2 in line, they were upset but they got over it because neither of them got to be last.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• TIME OUTS
    babyhuey2

Answer by babyhuey2 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011