Stupid hospital!

I am 9 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I had my first "appointment" on Wednesday. The Maternity counselor talked about her son (who is starting college in the fall) the entire time. She asked me about my college life, if I drank, who I lived with, blah blah blah. I am 28- I am pregnant, I don't care about her son. I actually thought I would discuss my pregnancy and the fact that I might be further along than I think (I've only had one short period in the last 4 years).

Nope. Just talked about college. I couldn't get into an appt w a midwife until mid august (I'd be at least 15 weeks by then). The maternity counselor didn't send my lab work down, so I was stuck waiting to have a urine sample taken and blood drawn for almost 40 minutes! I am switching hospitals. I cannot believe how I was treated at this place! Sorry for being excited about my pregnancy- I know it sounds crazy, but I would like to hear my baby's heart beat ASAP!

I just needed to vent. I was looking forward to this appointment for about a month and when I went I was just so let down:(

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 9:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• :-(

Why are you seeing that practice/that setting, anyway?
    Do you have health issues, complications? Preferences?

Why not use another midwifery practice?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Why wouldn't you tell her that you aren't there to talk about her kid in college. Your reason for the appointment was for your pregnancey. Seriously, you should open your mouth and speak up.
    Anonymous

• I have seen the midwives at this hospital for my first two deliveries. Unfortunately, the woman who delivered my last has moved. I like one of the remaining three there (she delivered my first) but the other two who work there make me uncomfortable. I am seeing the midwives at another practice in town- but if my feelings are as negative towards them I am considering looking into a home birth.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I didn't speak up because I was in utter disbelief. When I told her one of my college roommates was an art major she rolled her eyes and chuckled. She was super judgmental about every aspect of my life... I really don't know what her friction problem was.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• sorry you had such a bad time.....I've always had OBGYN's for my deliveries so I have no advice about midwives. Anyway...CONGRATS on the baby!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I just had my second baby at home (after an unnecessary c-section with my first) and I can't say enough good things about it :) I was pretty sure I was still going to have her in the hospital but just wanted to meet with a home birth midwife so I was sure I had explored all my options. After our first meeting, and hearing all the ridiculous things the hospital was going to require (continual monitoring, no birth tubs allowed, and making it mandatory to take my baby to the nursery in ANOTHER BUILDING immediately after birth, just to name a few) I was sold on the home birth. My husband wasn't too sure about it at first, but now he tells everyone he talks to how great it was.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2011