Atheist & Ghost?....

Me & DH was talking today & even as a Christian I was taking up for everyone in general can believe whatever.. Who knows what happens.. Maybe we do just die....
But then he brought up what do Atheist think of ghost?
Do they disbelieve in ghost as well? What about the Atheist that have seen ghost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Atheism doesn't mean 'believing in nothing'- it means 'not believing in a deity/god.' So atheism itself doesn't preclude a belief in ghosts. I do have a relative who is an atheist but believes in ghosts because she has seen them. Her idea is that ghosts are energy signatures left behind that some people can see- like watching a recording.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My husband is an atheist who firmly believes in ghosts. If there were ghosts, why would that mean there was a god? If you believe in human spirits, that belief doesn't have any need for any gods or goddesses.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Atheist literally means without god so aside from that(gods) they can believe in whatever they want whether it be ghosts, and afterlife, faeries, aliens, or bigfoot.
    Personally though I do not believe in ghosts.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Atheist does not mean "believe in nothing". That's a really ignorant view of something someone doesn't understand. Atheist means no belief in a deity. Ghosts are not deities. Someone who rejects a single concept is not then required to reject any concept you think they should because you can't tell the difference.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• As an atheist, I believe there is no god. I also do not believe ghosts.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:20 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• As an atheist I don't believe in ghosts or supernatural spirits. I guess it isn't outside the realm of possibility, but I've never met an atheist who did.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Now as for aliens, well I believe in the possibility of life on other planets (such as in the form of bacterium etc, heck didn't we bring some back form somewhere like the moon) however when it comes to that life being intelligent and more specifically capable of crossing the universe to visit other planets I become highly skeptical.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I have a couple of friends who are atheist and they believe in ghost only because they had experiences with them, I dont know many atheist, just those 2
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I'm an atheist, which means I do not believe in god, it says nothing else about my other beliefs.

As far as ghosts, my mother grew up in a haunted house, so I grew up hearing all the stories from her, and my aunts and uncles, about said haunted house. I do believe they experienced something there. But that 'something', could have been anything. We do not yet have instruments capable of exploring this phenomenon, so I refrain from putting a name to it. To say this is definitely a ghost, or a spirit, or whatever, just feels wrong, because no one knows what's going on. It could very well be energies from another plane interfering with our plane for all we know.

So to sum up, I believe that some things happen that we currently do not have the technology to explore, and because we cannot define it, I refuse to put a name to it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• But then he brought up what do Atheist think of ghost? It varies.  Some do (like me) because they have seen and heard them.  Some, who have had no experiences, don't.  Do they disbelieve in ghost as well? The only thing atheists don't believe is in god.  I believe in ghosts, ufos, bigfoot, and the supernatural.  I just don't believe in god. What about the Atheist that have seen ghost?  They either accept that they are seeing something that most resembles the common description of a ghost or spirit.  Or they deny it as adamantly as some christians do.  Determined atheist skeptics will find an excuse...even if it is as irrational as "mass hysteria".

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011