Anyone ever sell anything to Once Upon a Child or Plato's Closet?

If yes, what do they pay? Just approximately......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I went to Plato's Closet and they said they only give like 30 percent of what they'll sell it for so I didn't even bother. there's another store where I live that works on consignment. I find I get more money back from them. they usually have a 50/50 split.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 10:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• They give you as little as possible... remember they are in business to make money, so the less they pay you, the more they make... and they have bills, paying for the store front, employees, and so forth

I learned the hard way and I sell locally on CraigsList when I need to get rid of things, than whatever they sell for I stick into the kids' savings accounts (was theirs to begin with)
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I used @ plato's closet but it really depends on what it is and what time of year it is, ect.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I've never sold to either but I've shopped at plato's closet and listened in on someone else selling some things and they hardly got anything! I also saw an MTV True Life episode where a girl was selling a really expensive outfit and they gave her hardly anything for it...like it retailed for $300 and they gave her $30?
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I plan on putting the money in their accounts. I'm just trying to figure out the best route. Any examples for what they pay at Once Upon a Child or Platos? I know it depends..... but just a rough estimate?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I took 3 30 gal trash bags of clothes to them. All good stuff, light wear (0-36 month clothes), brand name and they took less than half a trash bag full and paid me around $30. I could have made more at a yard sale.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• If it is clothes I am going to assume not very much. At Once Upon A Child they sell the clothes for dirt cheap so I would assume that is what they pay for them as well.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I used to take DS's stuff to OUAC. You get pennies on the dollar, but as a PP said, they have a lot of expenses to take care of. So like a $50 pr of little boy's hiking books from Stride Rite, you would get maybe $3. Seriously. We know what we paid, but that doesn't mean you will get what it is worth to you.

Now, to buy stuff there, you make out great :) So think of that, too. Of they are paying .25 for a shirt, and selling it for $2, and then mark it down to $1, they are still making out, but not as much. And you got a shirt for $1 or $2.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2011