Unsure whether to let ex see son

My ex kicked me out 3 years ago, told me to never call him or his family again. I moved on got myself together and now I'm engaged and he has suddenly popped up out of nowhere. He called my phone repeatedly (I still had the same number) not leaving a message just calling, telling me how he wanted things back the way they used to be. I didn't tell him I was engaged I just told him that that wasn't going to happen. He then began calling my family who told him I was engaged and he went off the deep end, emailing me, texting me, calling me, on my social networking pages (facebook, twitter) trying to befriend me and 'follow' me. I let him see my son, but majority of the time he was interested in me, trying to touch my face, sitting close to me, etc. The visitation agreement didn't last long)he stopped showing up), and child support never came(hes unemployed, always has been). He disappears on and off 4 and 5 months at a time and is back again begging to see my son. A part of me says maybe I should, but I know he doesn't give a crap about my son, its just a way to get to see me. My son and my fiancé are close as ever, very natural bond, and he is who my son has grown to know as dad. I don't know how to approach the situation, as my ex is a convicted felon with drug dependency and could be locked away tomorrow.

thelovelymzbre

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 10:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• you need to decide what would be the best influence for your son. if not having is actual bio dad in his life is best for him, then so be it. it would seem better IMO that he gets to know a stable father figure rather than an unstable father. normally I don't believe in denying a parent access to their own child, but in cases where the bio parent has shown unstable and irresponsible behavior (never having a job, not being there for visitation) it's probably not a bad idea. if your fiance and you are happy this is something that is important for your son to see. this will be what he bases his future relationships (both platonic and romantic) on. do what you think is best for you and your son. GL
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 10:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• contact ur lawyer an explain what is going on. most likely he will tell u to get a restraining order against ur ex. or u can always go back to court an let him deal with the judge. make sure u save all the proof of him contacting u. they will get him for harrassment an order of protection will be out. he wants what he cant have an he knows that. im happy for u an ur son. yall deserve to be happy an u found a great man that loves both u an ur son. congrats an wishes of best of luck.
    kdbrantley82

Answer by kdbrantley82 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• not after he treated u that way..hell no!
    XOHilary

Answer by XOHilary at 11:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2011