Is it okay to breastfeed if you're pregnant? If so, for how long?

I am breastfeeding, but not pregnant. I was just wondering today if you could breastfeed if you're pregnant.

julipickle

Asked by julipickle at 5:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you can but most likely your milk will start to dry up.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 5:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Many people do... I don't know a lot about it. I have read that some children self wean, maybe because the milk changes taste? And I think it can affect the supply. I would think it would be draining on the mother to breastfeed and be pregnant... I bet she would need to eat all day long! LOL
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• YES,,u can as long as u want u could
    i know a mom that still breastfeed her son and his 6 yrs old
    she pumps it out and gives it to him.. hey all i know is that he likes it and his really healthy..
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I am 29 weeks preg and still nursing
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 5:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think it would really depend on the person. Nipple stimulation is suposed to help start labor, so some people more sensitive to nipple stimulation might not be able to or they would go into early labor. The lady that lives next to me breast fed through her pregnancy and after her baby was born (full term and healthy), she fed her new born and her 3 year old son at the same time.
    Anonymous

• Yes..
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• As long as you're not at risk for pre-term labor, it's fine for as long as you and baby want to continue.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm still breastfeeding my one-year-old daughter and I'm 4 months pregnant. Although, I am in the process of weaning her off the booby. She drinks organic whole milk too.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yes, I'm 30 weeks pregnant and nursing my 21 months old. I still have milk.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would think it would be draining on the mother to breastfeed and be pregnant... I bet she would need to eat all day long! LOL

Nope, not at all. NOt for me anyway. I don't eat anymore than I used to and I'm not drained at all.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008