Is Wal-mart the devil?

Do Wal-mart's corporate policies, treatment of employees and other practices make them the scum of the earth and a bad choice compared to stores like Target and K-mart? Or are they merely a scapegoat and a popular store to hate?

Kat31

Asked by Kat31 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Shopping

• Do I think they are worse than others? In some ways yes, in other ways, no. Being scapegoated? Hardly.....I think that in general most corporations are horrible and are what is wrong with the world in general....I had to laugh at the question because I refer to Walmart as "the devil's store" as a joke, and once said it on the phone a bit too loud while I was there, and embarrassed my kids....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No, but I swear some of their customers (and employees) ARE.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 11:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• No, but going there on the 1st of the month is like hell. I hate having to go shoping after the government checks have gone out.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Wal Mart came in with good prices and decent employees. Once they pushed all the other people out of business they replaced those employees with a lot of rude ones. Not all, but a good portion of them. They also raised their prices and they do it regularly. I shop every two weeks and my bill keeps going up even buying the same items. A month ago my daughter got a quote on 4 tires for her car of just over $300. She called yesterday about getting two tires. It's $280. Same tires, no free tire if you buy 3, just their new price. The only reason I even set foot in their door is because otherwise I would have to drive an hour to shop somewhere else.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I think it's a scapegoat. I have friends who are quite happy working for walmart but quit Target b/c of the policy having to do with the Military. I'd rather support an American company vs a French one anyday
    Tess929

Answer by Tess929 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Wal mart creates 1000s of jobs and provides affordable resources to the masses. Not everyone can live off of a 100% locally grown organic lifestyle.

And as far as "crunchiness", wal mart's widespread sale of USDA organic certified products keeps tons of pesticides out of the earth by giving small companies a huge national market.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• When I worked there- there were a few people who had worked at Target and then came to Wal-Mart. I have had WAY WAY worse jobs...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• i don't think walmart is the devil with employees,, although I think a lot of their customers are!! I swear I hate going there... i feel like I'm going to a circus/trailer park/zoo/biker bar all rolled into one the way these people get fisty.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No, but I swear some of their customers (and employees) are; it is a pain to go shopping on or around the first of the month when you get paid only once a month; some of the employees there act like you shouldn't be shopping there just because you only get one paycheck a month. I was always raised you treated the customers the way you wanted to be treated but not everyone lives by that. and customer service is nothing like ti used to be. I worked in retail for 25 years and if I would have ever tried any of the crap the employees pull now-a-days I would have been fired on the spot.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I really don't like WalMart. The shelves are empty. The quality is poor. The employees are something else, service totally sucks. Prices are debateable. You have to suck it up and shop for what is on sale, and hope they have whatever it is that you are going in for.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2011